1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado had been a caucus state but voters changed that and moved it back to a primary starting in 2020. Part of the proposition included that the presidential primary be held before the end of March. A second proposition passed that allowed unaffiliated voters to pick which primary they could vote in. Republicans tried to get that dropped this year but courts said no.

Other primaries stayed in June.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You mean it can be worse than the one when TFG gave Limbaugh a medal during the damn speech? Or SHYFS's reply last year?

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope when Marge and Bobo start their nonsense, Biden flat out says "sit down and shut up."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting watching the polls, for whatever reason (maybe Trump locking up the nomination?) Biden has crept ahead of him in several national polls. It isn't like Biden has had a great week or anything.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're free to take the least charitable, most literal interpretation of my post as you want.

But we're saying much the same things. Deconditioning is difficult. Purpose can be elusive. We're saying the same things. The concept of "today" is solvency of a kind, but it's not magic any more than giant orphanages would have been.

I could be equally literal and retort that housing without all the attendant services and treatment only creates the idea that the primary concern of someone like you is being able to say we "housed" someone. But I know your care extends greater than that, and we're essentially pointing out many of the same things.

People living on the street have often been "housed." Not always. But often. And being housed didn't resolve their issues.

And there are other kinds of homelessness beyond "San Francisco, hard by the bay, contrast of affluence and decay." There's living in a mid-sized city, and kinda/sorta living at a storage facility that you rent. There's lot of scenarios.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And Limbaugh acting all stunned when it happened.

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Biden never has a great week according to some of you.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

We have a Zoomer in our office who has a Jeff Jackson sticker on her car. You don't see many AG stickers ever, let alone ahead of the primary. She made a point to vote on Tuesday because of Jackson, and was very happy Wednesday morning at work.

AG is THE line to governor in NC, at least in the last two decades on the Dem side. I would agree that the Biden camp and Dem party machine should rally hard for Jackson. There is tangible belief there among that younger crowd for him now, and his future.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In re: chronic homelessness

One thing I do think should be changed that goes against orthodoxy is that we need to have more frequent mental health commitments, even non-voluntary. Going back to the Nurse Ratched days isn’t the answer, but neither is the deinstitutionalization movement that has yet to deliver some four decades on.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

vibe:

https://hellgatenyc.com/hochul-national-guard-subway-bag-search

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The reason why deinstitutionalization didn't work was because we tossed people back into the community, then provided them zero services — all the while the states sold off the land for state schools and made bank, but didn't put that money into community services.

Draft saved Draft deleted