1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said about the attention you garner from actually running a primary. Not having to actually campaign but, you know, do your job, means you aren't out in front of the nonsense. And with many of the voters finally having a say with Biden and they get their grievances aired, they finally are coming around.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Let's hope so.

I believe Biden's had very few "bad weeks." Main one I can think of is the Afghanistan pullout, which was the correct decision but doomed to failure because his predecessor set the stage for a cut-and-run. I also think voters are stupid enough to send Fatfuck back to 1600 Penn., where he'll trash even more democratic norms and turn us into a shithole country.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't think it's really that unorthodox. Thirty years or so ago, we took a radical shift away from institutions with the idea that people would be better off in their communities with local support, i.e. living in a group home is better than living in a mental institution. But then we never came remotely close to adequately funding what it would take to do that.

The same people complaining about homelessness and insinuating that these folks "just need to get a job" are the ones fighting against Medicaid expansion and other social services.

I've helped several dozen unhoused people with all sorts of things over the last decade, from housing, to disability, to petty criminal charges, to getting an ID or regaining their driving privileges. The most vexing cases have been the ones with serious, chronic mental illnesses that simply cannot be managed without a dedicated caregiver. Things like schizophrenia, multiple personality disorders, even severe PTSD can keep people from ever being able to manage life on their own.

The red tape to get what little support is available is also insane. (That's largely been my role: Helping my priest cut through it when she hits a hurdle with one of the people who has come to our church looking for help).

Mass institutionalization wasn't the answer, but neither is this.

Slacker, FileNotFound, garrow and 4 others like this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Performative interruptions are what the GOP base wants. MTG or Boebert have become absolute stars despite being novices by engaging in awful behavior, not because of any legislative accomplishments or because they have floated any great ideas. They are going to want to get publicity and are going to be screaming about the border I guess. Their home run will be if Biden reacts in a way which fits their narratives.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ignoring them would sting more than making any fuss.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Squint, tilt head and leave a pregnant pause to underscore their insanity even to their own side. Then ignore it. Much like dealing with a toddler.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When they heckle, Biden should do the basketball "too small" gesture. That would be hilarious.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He's also had to wear the supply-chain and inflation issues because he was president while we were reeling from these things. Both were the result of Covid and of Trump's mishandling of the crisis (though not completely). And he doesn't get much credit for inflation really cooling off and stores being stocked and construction (mostly) getting what they need. The problem is when your favorite cereal costs more than you remember paying from the good days in the Soviet Russia, it tends to weigh on a president.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Wha? Sorry, you'll have to boo louder I'm a bit deaf, cuz I'm old and decrepit!" (Turns around) How do you put up with this Kevin?, oops I mean Jim, oops I mean Mike, so sorry"

garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Why don't you motherf*ckers impeach me right here, right now? Throw in the former guy while you're at it. Take us both out. Same time. Everybody says they don't want a rematch. Well....don't give it to 'em. Do it, motherf*ckers, do it!"

Slacker and dixiehack like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The VJOG.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Point to the POTUS seal like it’s a Super Bowl ring.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted