1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Already seeing the evergreen "We need replay and challenges in high school" tweets. But while you may have, say, 10 cameras for a network game (correct me if I'm wrong, TV friends), you're lucky if you have one at a high school game. And unless it's being streamed, definitely not at the 2 pm game of the Podunk Lions Club Christmas Classic.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They actually have replay challenges in Alabama for high school football, with the caveat that if there is no broadcast then tough shit.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's the thing with replay. You need to have a legit video source. High schools, especially less affluent high schools, are videoing on cell phones and hoping for the best. Unless there is a dedicated broadcast team—which I've seen, but it is hit and miss—you just can't count on a reliable replay.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Georgia did it for football championships this past season.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cell phones, or any game video the coaches are shooting. Usually done by a kid who may miss a play or two, but when the cheerleaders come out...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least when I was last in Rhode Island covering hoops (2018, 2019), the finals and the semi-finals were recorded, I think. If we're talking solely about the "shot is or isn't good" issue, then it isn't an especially hard or costly problem to use replay for. The hurdles are more of the "but this is how we've always done it" or "hey this is just a high school game" variety.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You don't really need the rigamarole of instant replay, VAR or whatever. There is ample evidence the refs kicked this call. This is a no-brainer for the New Jersey UIL.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This isn't a score, except maybe for the school's discretionary budget.

Vestavia High School here auctioned off a prime parking place close to the door as a fund raiser. Two parties got in a pissing match and bid it up. It wound up with one of them paying $46k for his daughter to park. He and his wife are both lawyers, plus his daddy was rich rich, left him like a hundred million. Anyhow, holy shit. Many schools that kid would catch a lot of flak, but Vestavia is pretty affluent, so both flak and some sucking up, I guess.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mountain Brook rolls its eyes at such gauche new money behavior.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Reddit moderated the posted names. His first name is Lloyd, and he and his wife are both apparently big time lawyers in the 'ham. He may be gauche but if his daddy left 100m it isn't new money.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In 2016 a Minnesota high school game made national news. Three buzzer beaters. One by future NFLer Trey Lance tied the game for Marshall. Another won it for Waseca. But the most famous one tied it for Waseca and came from about 75 feet.

The state had a similar game last night between Orono and Benilde-St. Margaret's that made SportsCenter.

Buzzer beater to send it into OT::

Buzzer beater to send it into a second OT:

And then a half-court shot to win it in double OT:

And to refresh your memory or if you've never seen it, that 2016 game.

Draft saved Draft deleted