1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@OscarMadison, make sure that switch has some leaves on the end. And let that slappin’ hand fly like Ashcroft’s eagle.

@DanOregon, what if he picks his nose? Asking for a friend.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've only seen snippets, but what Katie Britt was doing is right down the middle of the Republican playbook -- convince affluent whites to vote for them out of fear, and inasmuch as anyone can convince anyone of anything in a State of the Union response, I'm not sure it totally flopped. She just overdid it. But to some degree, putting a pretty white woman (and I can certainly see how she was able to get a member of the Tide -- good for her, I guess) out there to be scared on TV achieves some of their goals.

So much of what animates that group of people is fear-based. The vast majority of right-wingers don't hate gun control because they enjoy hunting or target shooting, nor are they the 1% of crazies who believe they need as many guns as possible as some sort of heckler's veto against tyranny, it's because they think it's unilateral disarmament against what they perceive as the imminent threat of crime against their property or their person. It's why so many of them like cops, who they see not as oppressors but as a security blanket because they can. At this point, I'd argue the only way to convince people to stop panic-buying guns is to somehow limit crime enough that they don't think they need them, which is probably equally impossible.

Now, one of the biggest problems the GOP has been dealing with recently is that many of those women are more angry about Roe, IVF and other reproductive rights issues than they are scared about getting raped by illegals, but fear is a powerful instinct. It's why there's so many "murder shows" and podcasts, after all.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Tomorrow, tomorrow, (the pivot’s) always a day away …

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They see it. They don’t understand what it means because their preferred news media refuses to report on it.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Golf is the polar opposite of an athletic event.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A little off-topic but a few weeks ago, Riley Gaines was praising a female billiards player in Belgium who refused to play against a transgender opponent.
    What physical advantage could someone born male have in billiards? Can they tolerate more cigar smoke?

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Given some of the shapes Jeannette Lee used to get into, I'd think being male would be a disadvantage in billiards, though I imagine dudes probably have a little more power on their break?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Men can break way harder.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ahfuck, I can see the news cycle for the next three days.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The contrast between Biden Thursday and Trump today….yeesh

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

Doesn't it make your blood run cold that nearly half of the nation thinks Trump was clever there?

They believe civility is weak, education is worthless, and all that matters is what you can get away with.

12. jr/shotglass

... and that's just the Christian conservatives.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted