1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports betting revenue tops $11 billion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Feb 20, 2024.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Rudy Gobert who thought it was funny to touch recorders and phones a day or two before he became the first well-known athlete to get COVID? Maybe sit this one out, Rudy.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are we still able to create polls here? I'm curious how many of us bet sports legally. The only stuff I do is an annual bowl pool (under the table, shhh). Curious. A lot of my co-workers, especially the younger ones, throw down and it blows me away the amounts they bet. Also wonder what has happened to the "local bookie."

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Has gambling killed fantasy? I don’t hear anybody talking fantasy sports since gambling was legalized.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I do a league with my coworkers every fall. But I don’t mention it much here because, well, you know …

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly, consider the source and decide what credibility to give it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The one I know hasn’t been affected. Of course, his average client is in his late 50s and spends a lot of time at the country club. I imagine campus bookies have been wiped out.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m friends with the daughter of a bookie. Last I heard business is as strong as ever despite legalization next door in Mississippi and Tennessee. Seems his customers remain fond of credit.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was part of the billions three years ago. Had $1.4 million “in action” (technically, the losing sides were revenue) in 2021 and make 26k profit.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Which explains, for my move, I’m driving through Louisiana and Arkansas so I can pass the time for 10 hours betting.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

If you ever want to be a consultant, let me know.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I haven't done any fantasy sports leagues in a long time, but they were always about gambling in my circle. So maybe it's now just part of the big legal betting machine and doesn't get the spotlight like it used to?

Hermes and playthrough like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted