1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is Stony Brook-Hofstra considered a derby?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lunardi has ISU in the First Four for now: Men's Bracketology: A step-by-step user's guide to Champ Week

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep sinking with this crap.

I've probably watched more women's ball than guys this season. Probably not a coincidence that my alma mater's women's team is much better than the guys – and has a legacy that has always made them worth following – but larger point stands.

If you want to comment on what you saw, fine. But taking swipes at the women's game in the process isn't doing any favors ... and I don't seem to be on an island with that here.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

How to end a postgame presser fast.

poindexter and Batman like this.
  5. jr/shotglass

And Sam? What favors are you looking to be done here?

Look, it's huge in pockets around the country. It's nothing in other pockets around the country. Those people know Caitlin Clark, maybe Angel Reese, and can't name three other women's college players.

Don't force the narrative. If it's going to happen, it will have to happen organically, and not because certain people are offended by the women's game not "getting its due."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't force words into my mouth. Never did I say in the post you responded to that the women's game isn't "getting its due." But I did take umbrage with Chef's swipe at the game after the incident between LSU and South Carolina.

I'm not forcing anything. But I'm answering the flip and antagonistic comment that was made here. So before I get accused of forcing the narrative, don't force words or phrases into my mouth.

7. jr/shotglass

Yes, Sam. I won't re-word what you said. And while I'm at it, I won't stamp my foot about certain parts of the country not supporting college wrestling or college lacrosse.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

College lacrosse broadcasts may legitimately draw hundreds of viewers on BTN.

That is not the case of LSU-USC women’s tourney basketball games.

This isn’t narrative. It’s literal math.

I watch Mid-American Conference basketball. I know what actual hundreds of viewers looks like. I’ve been in Ypsilanti with 13 other people in the arena during a snowstorm. That’s disinterest. Not Kim Mulkey and Angel Reese.

I don’t see a single post shitting on small conference men’s basketball viewership.

So ask yourself the question: Why is that?

Gutter likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

You show me the literal math on your lacrosse TV numbers. If you're going to talk literal math, it will do you well not to overstate your point.

I'm sorry, I'm with Chef on this one. I've got a long record of supporting women's basketball, but I'm not going to say it's sunny outside when I see raindrops.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An on-court brawl between two top women's college basketball teams. I have no idea how many fans saw it on live TV, but I guarantee you that this morning there's a very large number of them wishing they had.

11. jr/shotglass

Yeah, well, that's something else altogether. ;)

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

All I know is my phone blew up with multiple friends in different parts of the country yesterday who were watching the game live and correctly assumed I was as well. Admittedly, one of them is on the faculty at South Carolina, but the other two - one in Indiana and one in Northern Virginia - have no connection to either school.

The thing that struck me the most: Five years ago, maybe one of us is watching that game. Maybe.

If we can't recognize that women's hoops is having or just had its long awaited watershed moment, well I don't know what that says about us.

Draft saved Draft deleted