1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

More money hasn't solved public education yet, and I'm not sure what more money - for how school districts want to spend it - would do.

Charters and vouchers are generally meh to me, too. But I'm not hearing how money solves public education. Money is spent now.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You’re not sure how money matters to public education? Jesus Christ on a crutch.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alma, I moved to a town with what many other places in the US would call confiscatory real estate taxes to pay for my kids' schools. They graduated and went on to graduate with honors from BU. They are successful, happy adults in their chosen life paths. The very reason housing prices are so high in Lexington, Mass. is that the sellers and buyers both know the public education system is among the nation's best because they pay to make it so.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes the public schools of Kentucky are famously drowning in money.

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know how property taxes work.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand the principle behind it.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OK, let’s say they’re not. What’s more money gonna do? How’s it spent?

Apparently Koziol just wrote another book at 87, but, I don’t think we’re in the “savage inequalities” era any longer. (That’s a book he wrote.) Over the last 35 years we’ve largely - not *entirely* but largely, on balance - addressed some of the disgusting things that were true in the 1980s.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Would you rather your children went to newer, well appointed schools with decent facilities and teachers with a low teacher to student ratio, or an older, poorly equipped school with rundown facilities, poorly paid teachers in classrooms with 35+ students?

I've asked this before and so far as I know have never been answered. Do you have any kids? I think that gives a certain perspective which seems absent.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

More money hasn't made us safer either. But we keep throwing billions at the DOD.

Inky_Wretch and garrow like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, just shut the fuck up once in a while, wouldya?

Go clean your toilet or something. Thanks.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More money may not solve the problems of schools, but less money sure as shit won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted