1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

One of his MANY Hitler moments.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Mediaite = the dumbest name for a news site out there

franticscribe likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of schools out this way are getting cuts - due to lower enrollment. Shoot, when I was a kid, schools would be closed, consolidated. Enrollments fluctuate. Deal with it. I totally understand that kids are facing more dire emotional problems than we did back in the day - or at least more are diagnosed. It is pretty stunning to find out how many kids fit into some type of special needs category.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What was the fuller context of the “bloodbath” line? Economy? I can’t stand to hear his voice and thus have not seen the context.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

it costs nothing to just ask questions

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We won’t have to imagine it much longer if MAGA gets its way.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wait, you know Don DeLillo? Ask him how the hell he wrote “The Names.”

Hermes likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Classic dead girl/live boy situation. For example, a year or two ago, we had a viral story about an assistant hockey coach for a junior hockey team who was caught on camera by a small-time vigilante and his friends (a la "To Catch a Predator") driving five hours for a rendezvous with a "17-year-old" boy. The person in question resigned by the end of the weekend and was never heard from again. Problem is the age of consent in Minnesota is 16. So, did he commit a crime? No, but the act in question combined with a stereotype of the LGBT community as deceptive and predatory made it impossible for him to show his face in town again.

I mean, you could make the same sorts of arguments about college athletics, which is farther down that road. The problem is that, for the vast majority of the country, the school, the team and the community are inexorably intertwined, whether that community is the thousands of alumni of, say, the University of Michigan and the millions who live there or are interested in them. And even at the prep scale, one of the reasons co-op arrangements rarely get turnout commensurate with the some of their constituent parts is that there's no appeal to an East Bumblefuck kid who is a marginal (or non-) talent, to representing Anytown. Obviously, you'll get AAU kids coming from five hours in opposite directions to play for a club program but the 70-year-olds having coffee at the Hardee's every morning don't know or care how U16 Northern Super Elite is doing. I guess my point is that the way we do athletics in this country, particularly at the high school level, is a cake one can't unbake.

Slacker likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Playing devil’s advocate here, but maybe the NYT already figures he’s going to flip-flop this fall and not want to bother wasting the resources on a story that’s going to change in 6 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted