1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We don't have a separate thread for the women, but their selection show was ridiculous.

First the MC mispronounced Albany throughout the entire regional reveal. Kept calling it "Ailbany," finally corrected herself in the second half of the show.

She then called Holy Cross as Holly Cross, messing up the biggest moment of their season. Then later she said Gonzaga's seed was the highest by any West Coast team ever, and not the highest seed ever by any WCC team.

And one of the analysts hyped up the Va Tech star player who is out for the season as one of her top four players in the Portland regional.

Just a shitshow.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Have a Holly Jolly Madness.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

With one notable exception, the local politics will be to their liking.

tapintoamerica and I Should Coco like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too … somehow every team from Alabama was sent to Spokane.

Make your reservations early for Anthony’s and Tomato Street, Southern hoops fans! :)

Also, how is Creighton, a No. 3 seed, not playing in Omaha? And Tennessee, a No. 2 seed, not playing in Memphis?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And clearly pre-recorded by showing the teams almost instantly after they were announced. Seriously, why is the women's bracket reveal the same as the men's when their tournaments are done a week ago? Do it in the middle of this past week. Or even last Sunday. Agreed, a total shitshow.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The best part of tonight: Joe Lunardi goes back into a hole for 10 months.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd have a gripe based on the seeding. You think Florida Atlantic is an eight and Michigan State and TCU are nines and that Virginia and Colorado State are two of the last four in but Indiana State isn't good enough?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s insane.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There are smaller conferences that wrapped up their women’s tournaments this weekend.

Back to the men’s side - the Mountain West got six teams in but the committee treated it like Caddies’ Day at Bushwood. I know I’m the guy every year posting that league standings are irrelevant to seeding and selection, but you’re telling me the regular season champion of a 6-bid league is only an 8 seed?

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Someone needs to explain to me how Duquense is an 11 seed -- I'd take all the 12s over them and maybe a couple of 13s. Hell I think Morehead State might be better

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

My understanding is that because Creighton is the host school in Omaha and they're playing at Creighton's home court that they cannot be assigned there.

Charlotte is closer to Knoxville than Memphis.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hear Spokane is the Lubbock of the Northwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted