1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm in one pool where you can pick up to four teams seeded 9-16, $10 per team, and if they make it to the Sweet 16 you get a share of the pot. Simple as that (in theory). McNeese will be one of mine for sure and Nevada is tempting.

2. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

I'd hate this if you're still going to announce the field on Sunday. I want the bracket to have some competitive integrity — though we realize the NCAA doesn't give a damn about this — and that's missing if you announce the field on Sunday and tell a dozen teams, "You're playing in 48 hours," and you tell 16 teams scheduled for Friday games, "You're playing in five days." I'm probably the only person in the country who wishes they'd get rid of four teams and go with 64.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Already doing it with four teams who find out Sunday and have to play 48 hours later -- in Dayton. Though I believe play-in schools get a heads up before the announcement so they can start with travel plans. Colorado State (and Colorado) flew out to Dayton this morning ( 2 1/2-hour flights). Shorter flights for Howard, Wagner and Virginia.

Last year, Arizona State had to fly out to Dayton for the late game on Wednesday (against Nevada, no less), won, then went to Denver to play on Friday.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

All CBS guys were talking up Grand Canyon.

playthrough likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm with you!

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Only if they are wearing the other's face.

Batman likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’d like to see them put all teams in a hat and draw matchups just going down the bracket. If two top teams get matched up, tough shit for one of them. That would bring some drama.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

They would be the Cinderella this year.
    I said it earlier……if they get to play Alabama in Game 2, that will be highly entertaining.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Too many people on McNeese. Gonzaga wins by 15.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The only thing I'll say to push back on this is that the play-in games still count as a full round share for payment purposes, so the play-in game winners get two (or more) shares instead of just one. That can be a big deal for smaller programs and conferences.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The first 1 seed ever to lose to a 16 won the title the next season, which I guess would be a good omen for Purdue if I hadn't seem them play and thus am completely unimpressed.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have this same thought about JMU. It's just too easy to assume the Dukes will beat the Badgers. So easy that it can't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted