1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Did it hurt you? Nobody was harmed. Shouldn't your problem be with the bank which you think made a risky loan?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Constitutionality aside, that may be the best cut-to-the-chase explanation I've heard.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    Woody Long and Driftwood like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How much did Deutsche Bank forfeit by using Trump's inflated assets to decide his loan rate?

Again, 63(12) was applied as written.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If I get busted buying 10 quarts of moonshine from the shady guy at the foot of the mountain, I can tell the government that it's OK because nobody is claiming fraud and that it was a voluntary exchange?
    Cool. Cool.
    Or just maybe, the state will fine me because there are tyrannical laws on the books that could target anyone - except those who don't engage in this type of illegal behavior - against buying untaxed liquor.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In a civil suit, the burden or proof rests on the plaintiff.

What I was saying is that he shouldn't have needed any witnesses, because this was a statute that made that burden of proof into next to nothing.

Let's at least be honest about this: This was a civil fraud suit. ... that somehow required no proof of anyone being defrauded, didn't need to show anyone was actually victimized, and didn't need to prove any tangible harm.

How that kind of proceeding happens in America should SCARE people, even if yeah, she found a statute that allowed her to get her target who lots of people hate, so yay!

For me. ... there are so many legit criminal things that conceivably can be proven in a court of law with Donald Trump (and hopefully will be). ... and this is what people are applauding. It's short sighted.

What happens when it isn't Donald Trump, but the barn door that is open allowing broad laws like that to be molded into getting someone a little less odious than Donald Trump? Because that is always the way it happens. ... prosecutors don't take back their powers, they expand them, and use it to selectively target whoever they want.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I missed that prosecution.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

State Trooper: You were going 100 mph in a 65.
    Me: But who was harmed by that? Who is the victim?

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It was the taxpayers. It was me, a customer of the bank.

Driving a car pursuant to a state license on public roads is different than conducting a private business transaction.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I'm confusing the court cases, but isn't this fine related to fraud conducted by Trump Org - which had a business license?

Draft saved Draft deleted