1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This was mentioned briefly back in 2016 when Trump was running. Somebody dug up old clips of him on 60 Minutes and Larry King in the 1990s and played them between clips of Trump speaking in 2016. The differences were painfully obvious. In the old clips, he sounded thoughtful and would stay on topic for several minutes. No accordian hands either.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I am certainly not in favor of Trump and have repeatedly said I will not vote for him. I would rather have nearly anyone else be elected president.

It seems 99 percent of this forum is of the same opinion. That seems not only mathematically impossible but also kind of tedious. We (the royal we) have thought from the start he was unhinged and not fit to be president.

I'm guilty of it and it seems most posts have just parroted what Trump does. Saying the same things ad nauseum.
    Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

I'm not trying to out anyone or get banned but it seems to make for a very one-sided discourse. You can't rationalize or debate a lot of Trump voters but you'd think on a site like this there would be amicable discourse. Maybe I'm missing something in the 6,623 pages of this thread. It would be fun once in a while to react to someone who actually wants Trump to be president who is not a loon.

Maybe I'm just tired of seemingly everything being political and divided in this country. Maybe I should just never click on this thread.
    I think I just dread what is likely coming in November and that it only gets worse.

justgladtobehere, Scout and Liut like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I understand being a supporter of his 'ideas' but this guy - manly? Have you ever seen anyone who publicly whines more?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My toddlers. When they were that age.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just remember that his site is populated almost exclusively by people who are or were in the media and one of Trump's first ridiculous proclamations was "the media is the enemy of the nation." How else would you expect us to feel?
    Second, there are no people "who actually want Trump to be president" who aren't loons.

6. kickoff-time

I am also in the media and called bullshit on Trump's antics from the start.

So not one person in the media or in your company or department or sitting right near you voted for Trump? Or registered on SportsJournalists.com?

They're all fucking loons?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And, as much as that would have seemed like an outlandish thing to suggest for any other presidential candidate in my lifetime, the absolute is appropriate here.

If they really want Trump, their elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.

EDIT: Yes, kickoff-time, if I worked beside them for 25 years and liked them and they're now MAGA, they turned out to be a loon. I have documentable examples.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A functioning democracy requires a push-pull between progressive and conservative ideas. But there isn’t the capacity to really discuss conservative ideas because they’ve fallen in love with a madman and wannabe despot who has hijacked the whole apparatus. How do you have a give and take in an existential crisis?

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I retired 10 years ago. My brother voted for Trump -- he's a loon.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. kickoff-time

I have examples as well, starting in my immediate family.
    I know that either way come November I won't have the same relationship with them that I had pre-2016. They love Trump. I do not.

But I also have some family and co-workers that can rationally discuss differences. Some are loony some not. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Liut likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with being sick of the bitter political division. It's exhausting and, one way or the other, after this election I plan to let a lot of stuff go. I honestly wish I didn't care about this stuff so much. I think there's a big well-being benefit of not being so plugged into it and being blissfully unaware until Sept.-Oct. rolls around every two years.

But, I think the major issue with what you're saying is that trump's entire political existence is based on dividing people and demonizing anyone who isn't blindly loyal. He makes no attempt to try to "win" voters. His goal is to keep people from voting who don't march in lockstep with him. He also has absolutely no platform other than revenge and self promotion.

And, after nearly a decade of his bullshit, there's really nothing I can discuss with anyone who wants a lying, hate-spewing criminal who's completely corrupt and for sale back in the White House. I can forgive a 2016 vote (not really, but I can somewhat understand it). But 2020 and 2024? Fuck that. Especially after Jan. 6 and Roe. And the endless fucking culture wars.

I'm at an age and life station that I do wish there could be a presidential candidate who trended socially liberal but fiscally conservative (and a lot younger). That person could get my vote. But I have just as much of a chance of voting for a unicorn.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted