1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How can you defend the guy at this point on any level?

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I also know people in my area who would otherwise never vote for Trump are now going to because they are tired of the crime, defunding of police, homeless and drug problems. They see it as the Democrats letting the area go to hell. They don't agree with a lot of what Trump says and does but figure he will somehow take care of the problem even though he doesn't give a shit.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Biden has rejected any attempts to defund police.

Homelessness is the work of a society that’s decided safety nets aren’t worth it.

Crime is down in almost every statistical category.

Drug problems in rural and urban areas have been issues for 20 years. This is not a Biden issue.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I mean, not really. If anyone is unwilling or unable to understand why trying to overthrow the government based on lies is a red line, that's not my problem.

Willful ignorance and true belief in conspiracy theories are not things that can exist in productive discussion.

Edit to add: It goes to a deeper point... trump world has created its own reality, with the aid of dishonest conservative "news" outlets. It's impossible to have meaningful discussion because trump followers aren't rooted in reality. They can't or won't accept facts.

What do you do with that?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Police are funded at the state, county and city level.

Smallpotatoes, wicked and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I figure that most of them don't post here because they moved to a different board, one that was more in tune with their opinions and leanings. So, yeah, it's kind of an echo chamber here. I miss a lot of them, most were good guys. I think that it's maybe for the best, because the constant wrangling is exhausting for both sides. I guess both boards know where to find each other if someone wants to talk. We see visitors from time, some to talk, some to troll.

My older brother is one of the MAGA's described above. We survive because we eventually reached a silent understanding that we were simply never going to agree. So it was either just don't talk politics or cut ties. We shut up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My problems with trump -- and there are many -- stem less from any political differences. There are several things I thought he did fairly well -- Warp Speed being one.

My concern, and what I cannot understand, is that he is generally devoid of moral fiber and lacks character. He is not a selfless servant, certainly not a Christian, and how people who claim to be Christ-like support him, I'll never ever understand.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And I bet that with a little research you can find cuts to policing and law enforcement of all sorts in the budget proposals that have been coming out of the House.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When your default position is "Trump killed 1 million Americans because he didn't shut the country down for a year," it's tough to find middle ground with people who don't quite view things that way.

There ARE people who will be helped by Trump's policies.

Maybe they're the "wrong" people (rich, white, straight, non-trans, whatever), but it's hard to begrudge someone for voting for a candidate who likely will make HIS/HER life better. And it doesn't make them a loon.

Voting for the hypothetical "greater good" at the expense of individual needs/desires is largely a foreign concept here.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They fought Social Security tooth and nail for decades before it finally passed in 1935, and have been going hell bent to abolish or privatize it ever since.

They'll precipitate another 2008-style economic meltdown, probably with a government shutdown, then they'll terminate SS and Medicare with one shot: shut it down immediately with NO warning.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

But not before he said moribund Kodak would be an ingredient supplier and people piled into the stock pump-and-dump.

LOL

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

what guy? Donald Trunp? I wouldn’t.

the question was how it could be that none of his voters are registered at sportsjournalist.com because since there’s tens of millions of them and there’s a 50/50 chance he’s elected president again, that seems a statistical impossibility.

my point was that they are probably here and probably don’t bother posting on political threads because of attitudes like the one I quoted.

Draft saved Draft deleted