1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You are profoundly unserious

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are no Trump voters on this board.

But about a dozen or so are accused of being Trump voters.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm not going to debate every issue with you, but I will say this. The President of the United States is the most powerful person in the free world. That is all-encompassing. Anybody who thinks Trump is the right person for this position IS looney tunes.

5. BTExpress

But that's not what they're voting for.

"He's the right person for MY interests" is what drives the vote. And yes, some of those interests (abortion bans, tax cuts, transgender exclusion, immigration reform, etc.) you may find abhorrent.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Discourse about policy is healthy and should be had but it's about the man and the movement.

If you value the tax cuts, deregulation, and judges enough to allow and vote for:

A godless man to end abortion...
    A debauched man to bring back family values...
    A liar to tell it like it is...
    A paper billionaire to make you truly wealthy...
    A national security risk to keep us safe...
    A leader of an insurrection to preserve our freedom...

...all while he courts a legion of master race young men in tan chinos to make it happen in 2016...then in 2020 (hello, Liz Cheney)....and now again in 2024, where does one begin the discourse (besides in a swing state diner)?

At this point, you know the above and don't care because the results are worth it (more money in my pocket!), incorporate justification gymnastics that render conversation near worthless, or are Ken Bone.

Not giving a damn as long as it benefits you is a position one can at least respect because there's no interest like self-interest and there is a measure of nobility in honesty. The "principled libertarian," "classical liberal," or "objective intellectual " wrappings of justifying what has been and continues to be done don't withstand much rigor.

If you dig Trump because he makes the other people mad and that's your policy position, his malfeasance, corruption, and criminality are essentially justified because lol lookit how mad u are (which is the real problem if you stop and think about it). Then again, what is "crime" really, and who are we to say?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The difficulty is trying to demonstrate how much worse conditions would have been with Trump leading the post-Covid economy. As countries all over the world have shown, nobody was getting past the pandemic without pain. Four years ago today, many of us thought we were all headed to a genuine no-shit depression.

So yes, things aren’t as good as they were in 2019. Prices are up; homeless people are more visible. I don’t like it either. And there’s nothing more repulsive to the American voter than being told “It’s complicated.” But that does not make it any less true. So they better think long and hard about which guy they trust with complicated.

8. BTExpress

That so many people WANT Trump to be president bothers me a lot more than living four more years with Trump as president

The latter will go away, eventually. The views that caused it aren't going anywhere.

OscarMadison and ChrisLong like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At this point I think the great majority of votes for Trump function as troll/protest/"some people want to watch the world burn" votes - owning the libs, as it were.

And it has been effective. Most progressives are angry and miserable and, what's more, beginning to battle one another on multiple fronts.

The cost will be significant. Trump will gone one day. What's happened over the last eight years will remain.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At this point, this is the animating force of many Trump voters.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This is a great post.

But it will do nothing to lift the curse on the New York Jets.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted