1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

garrow and Driftwood like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Dow will probably hit 40,000 this week.
    Trump will probably take all of the credit.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Ah, trump’s “your beautiful 401ks” refrain before the pandemic. He went to it often. Many of his fans parroted. And it’s true, the market was good.

They don’t seem to be crowing about how great their 401ks are now. Even though the market is on fire and they undoubtedly are happy with all the money they’ve accumulated the last few years. Funny how that works.

(Of course the stock market isn’t the economy and a lot of people are feeling real economic pain. And no president has much or any effect on the stock market.)

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Your 401k don't mean shit until you start cashing out at age 70 1/2. Until then it's just numbers on a quarterly statement.

MileHigh, wicked, Inky_Wretch and 5 others like this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Going down my phone contacts list, I see seven people who voted for Trump in 2016. None of those people voted for Trump in 2020. One is loudly and publicly repudiating his 2016 vote. Another changed her registration from Republican to Democrat. The rest sat out 2020. This is a very small sample size, but it’s something.

I was for a time a young conservative. At some point, I stopped being young, and then I grew out of being a conservative. And yes, Sarah Palin was the tipping point. I would have voted for McCain in 2008 if he had chosen a different running mate. The Palin choice was pure pandering, and it convinced me that Republicans were not serious people but were in the process of handing over the party to the idiot wing. My time living in South Florida with Allen West as my district’s representative was ultimately the final straw. (He turned out to be too much of a whack job even for the Palm Beach County GOP.) I’m willing to listen to and consider real conservative ideas — limited government, sensible taxation — but so much of the Trumpist ethos is just so incredibly indefensible. And many seemed to have stopped bothering trying to defend it and just hold their ears and say “Biden’s too old” and will lean on that so they can vote for Trump and sleep at night.

The only way Trump wins in 2024 is if Democrats and independents vote as stupidly against their own interests as Republicans have for the last several years. Not saying it can’t happen, but I have to hold out some faith in our collective intelligence.

7. Twirling Time

Allen West was even too batshit for Texas, which is saying something.

He likely will end up like other Black former GOP politicians who saw the writing on the wall. Last I heard, JC Watts was running a boat dock on Lake Eufala.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Kinda like how POLLS! in North Carolina have the hypothetical Senate race big for the Democrat but Biden trails big

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"401k.....401k.....an amount in fines Donald Trump can not afford to pay."

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

A one-question Presidential test:

When they tell you, “Sir if you do X, there will be rioting in the streets,” do you come back with:

a) I guess we shouldn’t do X
    Or b) Well that’s what the insurrection act is for.

If the answer is B, you’re disqualified. Full stop.

And I don’t need Abortion Barbie here to tell me I’m an anti-Semite, YankeeFan to curate his alternative-reality Twitter feed, or Old Tony’s outright insanity …

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can't make examples of things that aren't happening.

HanSenSE, Webster and Woody Long like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It means deciding whether you can retire at 62 vs. deciding you have to slog along until age 70.

And that's yuge. And the peace of mind it provides is priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted