1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I have never, nor would I ever, support Donald Trump to be a township's dog catcher.

But this is what gets me, too.

BTE is right here. So is Jimmy. If anybody tries to explain why MAGA people think Trump is the answer for them, we all come out with the pitchforks and accuse them of being pro-Trump.

We can't even have intelligent discourse about it. Which means anyone who thinks that the political infighting is going to dissipate come November is kidding themselves.

Too many people enjoy the political infighting -- liberals every bit as much as conservatives, Democrats every bit as much as Republicans. They'll deny it vehemently, but yeah, they enjoy it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I fucked up and typed defunding of police, but there is police attrition - officers quitting or retiring early and not enough qualified candidates to replace them. Being a cop is not as honorable as it was 30 years ago or even 5 years ago. Small businesses tired of dealing with homeless, drug addicts, etc. is a real problem that has gotten worse.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Their interest also includes the ability to deal with a crisis should one arise. Trump demonstrated that he will fail in such situations because he will always try to figure out what is best for himself and ignore the good of the people of the United States.

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ll admit to being scared. Because I regard a second Trump president - one where he’s already burned through all the semi-honest, semi-competent people - as permanently damaging the republic at best and snuffing it out at worst.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I view it as far less than that because he only has four lame-duck years, the last two of which he won't get a damn thing done other than spur another impeachment or two.

And just about anything he does can be undone. Other than the (gulp!) 1-2 more SCOTUS judges he might get to appoint.

Nothing will permanently damage the republic. My God, not even the real Hitler permanently damaged Germany.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Yeah. No harm, no foul.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Other than the lung cancer, smoking is a pretty harmless thing.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This was AI generated, right?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

That right there.

The only thing that's going to make me panicky is if he gets his finger near the red button. The rest of it, I think this country can endure. It won't be pretty as a picture, but we'll still be ticking.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The dismantling of NATO probably can't be undone. The US suddenly being considered an unreliable partner can't be undone. ... and the resulting nuclear proliferation can't be undone.

For many, many things the nature of our government provides inertia that resists radical change. But that basically stops at our borders. The Chief Executive and Commander in Chief can radically alter foreign policy, and having Trump in charge should terrify you.

The "adults" were largely able to circumvent, countermand, and dodge his attempts at terrible decisions last time. Are there enough "adults" left willing to serve in a Trump cabinet?

12. jr/shotglass

"Terrify" is a really large word. Nothing he did the first time around terrified me. More than anything, I just don't want such an abhorrent person to be the face the U.S. presents to the world.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted