1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I bet Bucky's phone is blowing up today.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7th place game in the Podunk Rotary Chrisstmas Classic comes to mind.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Went 23-7, lost in the first round of their conference tournament, then got a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Division II tournament and also lost in the first round.
    Looking at their records the past five or six years, they've been very good (18-23 wins every season) in what I presume is a lower-end D-II conference but tend to flame out in the conference tournament. The 2023 NCAA Tournament berth was its only one in that span.

Big Circus likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As long as there are first-second round venues in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, there are going to be games that run very late in the Eastern time zone. It's a big country. But making Salt Lake the site of CBS's first two second-round games is an avoidable error.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then again, we have state high school tournament games start at 8:45 a.m. here.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, suck it up, people. IT’S TOURNAMENT TIME!

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

College basketball and football games in the Central Time Zone regularly begin at 11 a.m. A 10:45 tip for a western site is silly when it could easily be in the second window, but it's not any worse than what we always see here.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is always a fun thing with youth sports, playing 8 a.m. games and what not. Nothing like waking up at 5:30 to watch your kid play baseball.

All of these players have done it in their lives, but probably not for a while. It might be a bit of a shock to their systems to play a morning game with how they prep, and you'd think it wouldn't be that hard for the NCAA to say hey, we won't start Salt Lake until at least noon, but it's the NCAA.

In the end there are a lot things teams have to overcome to move on, who knows where tip time falls.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Two of the three that ran past the witching hour were in Pittsburgh and Omaha.

This year like most, I’ve taken half-days off work Thursday and Friday. Now I wish I’d taken the full eight hours PTO today.

sgreenwell and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The other guy was banging on Burns just as hard, and often made first contact. Let 'em play. Not DJ’s fault they’re not strong enough to stop him.

That said, when the Texas Tech kid did his flop and the refs called the foul, Burns was smart and talented enough to shift from 800-pound gorilla mode to dancing bear mode. His footwork is incredible for a guy that size, not to mention his soft touch. He had a couple plays that were jaw-dropping — that sweet spin move comes to mind, and the drive on the baseline when he slithered between two defenders for a reverse layup.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll say it again. The committe/NCAA gives zero fucks about anything

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted