1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Baltimore

Driftwood likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't know how fast these barges go, or maybe it hit a bad spot, but how does this happen?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Growing up and living in SoCal, it was always in the back of my mind going on interchanges, especially high ones, of an earthquake hitting and the interchange collapsing. Especially the Guthrie, which sits right on the San Jacinto fault.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Nova episode on this is going to be fascinating

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Or Frontline. Just horrific.

6. HanSenSE

I was thinking one of those hour-long shows only Discovery can do.

7. HanSenSE

Yet I keep thinking back to the 1989 quake (maybe because I work only a mile or so from the epicenter). The damage to the Bay Bridge and Candlestick Park were features, not flaws. Not that anyone figures on this happening ...

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I am neither afraid of heights or water, but I got freaked out on a bridge in Maryland one time headed to Ocean City. I really don't remember where or what it was called. I just remember it being insanely steep and high. I did not enjoy the experience.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You’re probably thinking of the Nice Bridge on 301 between Maryland and Virginia:

[​IMG]

It has since been replaced by a new bridge, which is almost as steep but a tad less rickety.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's horrible. A terrible tragedy. And going to be a years-long recovery process. Sure you can offload the ships waiting to head out and put containers on trucks or rail to send them to other ports, but the closest comparable port is Norfolk or Philly. The dock workers will be hosed for a while, until the harbor is cleared.
    And the traffic? My goodness.

Out this way they've been talking about replacing the I-5 bridge over the Columbia River for decades (it has a freaking drawbridge to let commercial traffic and sailboats pass. I always thought the quicker way to get it repaired is to stage a fake terror attack and dump the thing in the river Of course give enough warning where nobody is hurt. But the feds would probably just pay for a "patch" emergency fix. The Key Bridge will need a complete rebuild, didn't even look like the support piers at the waterline survived.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Force = Mass x Velocity.

A really heavy thing moving slowly can generate a ton of force.

justgladtobehere, HanSenSE and da man like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted