1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Why don't they just move there? City of 500K with a 1.5M metro area and a major-league ready stadium (if they can add a modest upper deck and some outfield bleachers to double capacity to around 35K.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder what the Giants think of this. Really. My guess is with MLB being the defacto "boss" of the Minors now, they'll give the A's schedule priority and make the RiverCats work around them.

Interesting point Hack, Sacramento is actually one spot higher in the MSA rankings. I would not be surprised if this is the team's "back-up plan" if Vegas goes south. I'd be ok with it. And when you consider that they "split" an MSA with the Giants that was less than double Sacto's total - its an improvement. Particularly since the Bay Area's population is declining 3 percent.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saw an article or two that Sacramento is doing this in hopes of the Vegas deal collapsing and becoming the de facto home.

If the A’s became permanent in Sacto and the team was sold, would any of their current fan base be willing to stick with them? It would mean still being in Northern California.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So does this mean the team will become the Sacramento Athletics or the California Athletics for three years? That’s kinda historically awkward if it’s temporary.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They'd have to pour a lot of money into that stadium, and quickly, if it's going to be a permanent home. Capacity listed at 14K, but 3K of that is berm seating.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Go retro and embrace the vagabond status.

IMG_5386.png

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And now that I’ve logged into X, I’ve found this gem:

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There are a lot of fans in Sacramento and the Valley. Oakland and the East Bay Area about an hour’s drive depending. Sac would have been a great option for fans. Alas the owners couldn’t give less of a shit about fans. The team is just a vehicle for their real estate development.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To say its been a rough stretch for me as a sports fan is an understatement. I grew up with the Raiders, saw them leave, come back, and leave again. Rooted for the Warriors, at least they are still in the Bay Area, the A's have always been a part of my life - but the current organization is such a nightmare. Oh, and I'm now in Oregon and am alum of Oregon State - so there is that too. Of all of it - the Pac-12's demise seems the most bewildering and asinine to me.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I mean, sketchy ownership moves and motives have been part of this franchise for its entire existence, haven't they?
    Connie Mack sold off a dynasty out of spite.
    The franchise was jokingly referred to as a farm team for the Yankees when it was in Kansas City.
    The entire Finley era, even with the team's success, had a lot of odd experiments.
    The Moneyball era.

It seems baked into the franchise's DNA that it'll be a shit show more often than not, whether it's located in Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland, Sacramento or Las Vegas.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted