1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the Coyotes spending more than one season playing in a college rink in Tempe has ripped the band-aid off teams being able to survive in tiny venues.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

After the benching/demotion of players for wearing a fucking bracelet, I hope the players tell the owner to shove Sacramento up his ass.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Better to fill a minor league stadium than go the way of the Marlins in Miami. Jeter killed the Marlins when he was a minority owner and average game attendance seldom broke 10,000

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Toronto sunk millions into upgrading Buffalo's stadium for MLB use, and Sahlen Field is larger and nicer than Sacramento's.

At the very, very least, they'd have to build at least one new clubhouse for the A's. They can't share a locker room with the PCL franchise, simply from a logistical standpoint. They might survive with one visitor's LR, but it certainly would have to be expanded and upgraded.

Sacramento is probably smart playing the long game. Sure seem to be a lot of hurdles to overcome to get a stadium in Vegas, which quite frankly doesn't seem to want them.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Do the dugouts flood with poo? No? We're fine with it, then."

Batman likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In my heart of hearts I don’t see the River Cats staying where they are while the A’s are in town. Take it from one of the few people to ever attend a Nashville Xpress home game, too much baseball can sink a market.

7. nickp

nickp Active Member

John Fisher got bailed out by his billionaire buddy Vivek Ranadive

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not ripping or defending Jeter, but the Marlins have never drawn much more than flies, have they? Jeter or not?

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Do you say that as a disgruntled A's fan or because you believe LAs Vega would be better off without the A's and the stadium/

To threadjack for a minute the bond issue for new stadiums in Kansas City just failed. Kansas City, Missouri sits in Jackson County. The Jackson County executive is Frank White, the old second baseman, opposed the bond issue because more tax money would have devoted to the stadiums than to the libraries and parks in the area.

qtlaw, Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've already seen it called the Mullett Arena of MLB on Twitter.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Forty years ago I read stories about how sports would someday be played in front of what amounted to a studio audience.

I scoffed then. I’m not scoffing now.

Liut likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I called BS too so I looked up the attendance numbers. They drew half as many fans when Jeter took over. It was about 10k per game per year until he sold in 22 (21 they did 7 but that might have been covid influenced)

Draft saved Draft deleted