1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, instead of questioning the job numbers and decrying the fact that they are part-time and that people are working multiple part-time jobs, let's address the reason why people are working multiple jobs.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not because people want to do that. Just maybe it's because the factory and store owners would rather hire out one job to multiple people to avoid full-time benefits.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

There are always rumblings at this Ocean County diner, but today, instead of complaints about Joe Biden, they were the result of plate tectonics.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tax them.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Seriously considering keeping this around as a cut-and-paste for when some stupid MAGA asks the question.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that "more jobs!" is not good news. Although you're right about store owners. My wife is one of three full-time employees in a store that employs about 30. And it took her five years for that "promotion" (benefits but no increase in pay).

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

I am perfectly honest when I say that I don't understand the philosophy of more jobs being bad news and the country needing higher unemployment to drive down inflation.
    I'm personally going to be OK, no matter what because of who/what I am, but I really don't understand where making things worse for some makes it better for all.
    As a sailor, I know a rising tide lifts all boats.
    I also understand that the haves will have more at the expense of the have nots every chance they get.
    Fuck it. I can skin a buck. I can run a trot line. A country boy can survive.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

And that's why I perfectly fine with some state legislators' grandkids having some brushes with thoughts and prayers. I certainly don't want any kid hurt, but if something hits close to home, maybe things will change. Heck, we are a heartbeat away from teachers carrying and everyone being able to strap up a long gun going to the grocery store.
    Well, everywhere except on the grounds of the state capitol.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted