1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Major bridge collapse in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The bridge will cost, let's say, $1 billion to rebuild. Do you really think it will be part of a standalone bill?
    How much you want to bet it's a small part of another massive "infrastructure" bill that includes hundreds of items that are not the Key Bridge, or any bridge for that matter?
    I think (or like to think) that's at least part of what he's talking about.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And if he is? What, pray tell, is wrong with tacking on tangential work if it's necessary to ensure the long-term safety and viability of other bridges, roads, etc? His real problem -- this is on the Freedom Caucasians' letterhead -- is that it gave Biden a stage and it gives the fedruhl gubmint the opportunity to provide assistance in city and state that his klan hates because the state votes blue and the city is 60% Black.
    Trumpists object to any disaster aid to libruhl states, parsing line by line for alleged waste. But when an SEC state gets devastated by a hurricane or a tornado, no philosophical objections get raised.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Again, there is a very slim chance that any "infrastructure" bill that comes out of Congress actually spends all — or even most — of the money on "infrastructure."
    That's the problem.
    The Key Bridge obviously needs to be rebuilt. It should not be used as an excuse to add another couple trillion dollars in debt to the ledger.

4. tapintoamerica

Any past examples you’d care to provide?
    Have the Freedom Caucasians ever objected to fedruhl disaster relief in SEC states?

5. tapintoamerica

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have no idea if they have or haven't, and I'm not doing homework at midnight to win a message board argument. Sorry.
    But if I have to give an example, the Inflation Reduction Act is a good one. The American Jobs Act is another recent one. Maybe not all of the stuff in those bills was wasteful, but I feel pretty confident in saying there was plenty of money given to projects that stretch the definition of "infrastructure." We get emails from our congressman (a Democrat, if it matters) all the time touting a few hundred thousand dollars here or a million there that came from one of those bills and is going to something that sure as hell is not a road, bridge, or any physical infrastructure project.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like the feds will have to cover all of it - insurance should cover a big chunk right? Does the government insure it infrastructure? I mean, it should right?

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Have you dealt with insurance? Payouts could take years. The cleanup and construction has to begin today. The government will have to foot the bill and then can go after insurance.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I feel like there’s a specific GOP phrase when someone mentions government and your feelings.

It’s something like ….

_______ your feelings.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Imagine the party of tax cuts for billionaires talking about austerity. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so ragingly hypocritical.

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and as I said the morning after the collapse, Biden and the Dems need to jump on this with both feet and flog them relentlessly until November.

"We see things that need to be done, and we say, let's do them. They sit there and piss and whimper about why they want to stop us."

Draft saved Draft deleted