1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Creighton’s stadium can expand to 35,000. That’s where they hold the College World Series.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Worth noting: The RiverCats yard is in West Sacramento, which is Yolo County.

maumann and Spartan Squad like this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Aside from Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, which hosts the College World Series, these are the largest college baseball stadiums in the US. The Utah Utes’ home arena, Spring Mobile Ballpark, tops the list with a capacity of over 15,000.
    5. Arrowhead Credit Union Park, California State University-San Bernardino Capacity: 5,000
    4. Hammonds Field, Missouri State University Capacity: 7,500
    3. The Diamond, Virginia Commonwealth University Capacity: 12,134
    2. Isotopes Park, University of New Mexico Capacity: 12,215
    1. Spring Mobile Ballpark, University of Utah Capacity: 15,500

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An odd question, but I know the NFL has a deal with banks that assists teams in getting new stadiums built. Does MLB have anything similar? Obviously they can't promise a World Series like the NFL does, but MLB seems like they have no problem telling communities their stadiums (esp. minors) aren't adequate and does nothing to find solutions.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alamodome might work. Superdome for sure. But neither market is wealthy enough or big enough to support MLB.

Even if a government is inclined to build a stadium for a hypothetical team, do they really want to do it for this proven dipshit?

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Homer Simpson supports moving the team to Isotopes Park. DOH!

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are at least four SEC ballparks bigger than Nos. 4 and 5. None would be in an MLB-type city, though.
    And I'm guessing the top three are Triple-A stadiums that those colleges share?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's a weird list, I suspect with a tight definition of "college stadium."

ASU plays at Phoenix Muni, which has a capacity of something like 8,700.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’d imagine MLB would want Nashville ahead of Montreal. As for stadiums, the Dodgers made the Coliseum work for a few years. Just put up removable Plexiglass in front of the seats down the line with the shortest distance and call it a day. It’ll do for three years.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Nashville is Reinsdorf’s threat. Fisher can’t have it.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What, no love for Puerto Rico? It worked out so well for the Expos...

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I kind of did. The funny thing is that during a week-long trip to the Bay Area, I saw the A's twice and the Giants once. Might have been because the Giants were toward the end of the trip and the A's involved a no-hitter, but I was a little down on the Giants stuff. Coliseum is easier to get to and wasn't as cold. Sure, my first game was delayed nearly two hours because some the lights weren't working but that was the no-hitter.

I really don't mind that Oakland told John Fisher to pound sand. If I recall correctly, Peter Magowan built Phone Company Ballpark with no public money. For any number of reasons, housing for even remotely middle class people in the Bay Area is bordering on impossible. It's one thing to rail against cool stuff like Apollo on the grounds of "whitey on the moon," but it's not really that hard to justify not being extorted by A's ownership.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted