1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You … um … know there’s a team in Toronto, right? Last time I checked, it shares a country with Vancouver and Montreal.

FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't understand the yikes.
    That is the opinion of every person with a functioning brain.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Getting" the A's is like having a mail-order bride who arrives with three kids from two different fathers and her mother on your doorstep. And she looks nothing like her pictures, has Herpes and an extra 30 pounds.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think the only option right now in Montreal is the Big O. I don't see them building a more baseball-friendly yard unless they have a long-term commitment.

Now, you could always rip up the tennis stadium on Jarry Park...

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

IDK, there are only 30 MLB franchises. Portland would kill to have one with four kids. The problem with the A's is ownership, ownership, ownership. They would flourish, even in a dump like Oakland, with a decent venue and good ownership.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Toronto players didn't start out as W-2s.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m assuming like the NHL, MLB requires teams to pay salaries in U.S. dollars.

Olympic Stadium is usable, with upgrades, of course. The Blue Jays have played exhibition games there in recent years. The dome is closed for good.

There are plans for a 35,000-seat open-air stadium somewhere on the river. Selfishly I’d love to see Montreal come back.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sold!

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I believe the Blue Jays are paid in U,S, dollars, no? If Vegas falls through what are options for the the A's. Stadium funding has historically been difficult to obtain and seems to become politically more unpopular as witnessed by the recent vote in Kansas City.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that means so I’ll ignore it and make my actual point which is they already play in Canada and have already figured it out in terms of how people are paid so it’s hardly an issue.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

MLB will force a sale, they'll head for Vegas, SLC or Charlotte, and the League will award two more franchises.

12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

SLC fits well from a geographic standpoint, I don't pretend to know the financial realities and fan base for an MLB team.

Draft saved Draft deleted