1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If *fraternization* was illegal in Chicago, I would have already served 20 years of my sentence.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I binged Quiet on the Set and it made me mad and sad and feel like I was doing ETR work again. One of the sad facts is that abusers were more often than not abused when they were young. Some start flipping the script within a year.

When my nephew was in Nick and Teen Disney's demo, I kept a close eye on the television. He saw a lot more of Penn and Teller than he did Drake and Josh and Zack and Cody and... We made exceptions for The Adventures of Pete and Pete (which I still think is flippin' brilliant) and limited viewing of All That for the very good turns by Keenan, Kel, and Amanda WhateverTheirLastNamesWere.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    sgreenwell likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Pete and Pete is definitely a classic. Amazing, bittersweet feel to it. Great casting, locales.

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Initially, there was a kind of "realistic" sheen to many of the Nickelodeon sitcoms, whereas Disney always felt way too shiny and glossy to me (excluding stuff like Ready or Not, which they imported from Canada). There was varying degrees of buy-in and quality for things like Clarissa Explains It All, Pete and Pete, Alex Mack, Salute Your Shorts and Hey Dude, but most of them were about tweens or teenagers growing up and dealing with problems through their perspective.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Tween Spartan very much liked Alex Mack. And the show was great too.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, come on, Larry. It wasn't that great the first time you tried it with Jerry.

Can't believe he wouldn't think up something new.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Im sure it was just a giant FU to the audience.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That was absolutely the perfect ending to Curb.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really? Using the same story-line device as you did previously?

I'm fully aware David was trying to be cute. Bringing Seinfeld in late in the show helped tie it together a bit. But it didn't work for me.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Curb was so rambling and beholden to Larry David's whims, it had a lack of structure or direction that lead to any conclusion. There were narrative arcs like his divorce and Leon coming, but it was more of a series of events, which doesn't really lead to a good conclusion.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I was ready to say it didnt work, especially considering as soon as any court business was introduced early in the season everyone saw it coming 10 miles away.

The final twist was pretty good tho. Worth it.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Meh. It was fine. Sad part for me was its the last thing we'll see Richard Lewis in.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted