1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe the Joneses will bid for an NL franchise for downtown Dallas. The Dallas Baseball Cowboys. :D

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What is up with this move? I would have thought it would be wrapped up in a bow. That idiot Davis kid managed a sweet deal to move to Vegas. Playing somewhere else shouldn't be a big deal after what the Expos did.

Octave likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Different political landscape. And I don't think an MLB franchise moves the needle like an NFL franchise.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

more milk than wine.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Montreal should have an MLB team but I have no idea how practical the Big O is in the long term. As someone I know who is familiar with the political/corporate scene in the city told me in the wake of the Jays selling it out for spring games and the buzz that the city would be in line for another club, "Let's see them get decent crowds for a Tuesday night game against the Rockies."

Liut likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: how players get paid up here, I recall reading a book on the Jays and the business of baseball that it is in the CBA that players playing outside the US are to be paid in US funds unless the exchange rate is higher in the country they are in (which it ain't here). That was always a big issue when the Canuck buck was at like $0.60 or something, the club was making its revenue in Canadian dollars while its major expenses were in US funds.

HanSenSE, Liut and maumann like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I got all my top of the line Brown goalie equipment 20 years ago when the Loony was like 50 cents to the dollar.

Liut likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, the Jays have uniforms and everything. It’s great.

Batman, swingline, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They make the league minimum.

Baron Scicluna and swingline like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think they use a similar formula in the NHL, which was a factor in the Nordiques moving to Colorado and the original Jets to the desert.

Liut likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would think a downtown stadium would be needed. The Big O is sort of isolated. Not sure what near the Al’s stadium, but i think they would be a better location.

Draft saved Draft deleted