1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have AAA for towing, jump starts and to bring me gas when I run out in the middle of the night in a Wyoming snowstorm.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've needed my car towed twice in the last year and my wife's AAA has taken care of it. Both times my car crapped out while I was at school and I had it towed from where I work to my mechanic 30 minutes away. Over the years, we've had batteries die and kill the alternator along with it and have needed a tow. So it's been worth it.

My wife also can't do tires and she works in the opposite direction than me, so it's been helpful there.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Between rheumatoid arthritis and knee surgery, I’m not certain I could change a tire on a level driveway now, much less on the side of a downtown interstate at midnight (don’t ask).

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We get AAA through work. Helps with hotel discounts, and I've used it personally to have someone come out and jump a dead battery when no one else was around. Not sure I'd pay for it personally, but there is some value there.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife is a college and high school basketball and volleyball referee. She travels almost every night. I have AAA for her because if she would break down at 11:30 p.m. on a Tuesday in January two hours away, there isn't much I could do about it. I have it so she could get some help and me deal with it the next day.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

AAA has saved me several times - flat tires, locked the keys in the car once and a long haul tow. It’s $100 a year for peace of mind. They always come quickly. And my membership is essentially paid for when I use the AAA rate at a hotel a few times a year.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Adding to the chorus - I've successfully changed a tire on my car in 1 out of 3 attempts. The other two times, they had been bolted on so tightly by the previous mechanic that I couldn't get them off. Both times AAA got to me within an hour and got me back on the road. My wife has also used it once to get a tire changed at like midnight while having a blow out on Route 95. It's a pretty great ROI for the service and peace of mind.

2muchcoffeeman, garrow and Dyno like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have roadside assistance thru insurance and Honda. In the past with AAA we'd get a proper tow truck for a flat. Now the past three times it's been a gig worker in a sedan, and you wait and wait. One time the guy was so sketchy I sent him away. The next guy also came in a sedan but had a floor jack and impact wrench. I called my dealer and asked if they send a gig guy for a flat and they said yes. I instructed family if they need help to add that the engine won't start, either. I learned that years ago when we had a sleeping young family member caught in the seat belt and I told 9-1-1 she was strangling, as the belt was around her neck. State trooper was there before I hung up. However, he had no implement to cut the belt. He ran to fortuitious nearby toll booth office and came back with a meat cleaver. He said strangling got their prompt attention.

9. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

SEATO nostalgia.

Milestones: 1953–1960 - Office of the Historian.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Helped my son change tires recently. We kind of teamed up on the bolts. They were beyond my capacity, but he came in as a relief pitcher after me to finish them off. No way I would have been able to get them off myself.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If you're not going to have AAA, whatever you do don't get on their mailing list ... because they will never, ever, ever, ever stop sending you shit.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Truth

Draft saved Draft deleted