1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2024 Masters Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I remember as a kid the first nine holes were basically a mystery as they were hardly ever shown on TV. To go from that to this, which is basically all-access and free, is one helluva great job.

misterbc and MileHigh like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Tyrell Hatton and Quagmire in the same room? #giggity

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jason Day seems exceedingly pissy about the wind. Ain’t shit you can do about it, mate!

4. Deskgrunt50

He also seems to be wearing parachute pants. Which seems like an odd choice, both with the wind and just for fashion reasons.

Cosmo likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The PGA Tour would be well served to take a few million of its $3 billion investment stake and make some serious upgrades to its app. If there's anything left after it's all handed out to players.

MileHigh and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Obviously it was a par 68 today for Bryson. It'll be interesting to see if he can go a whole 72 holes after playing 54 for so long now (some snark, but also kinda serious).

And Scottie Scheffler is on some kind of heater. He was the total no-brainer of the four in my Masters pool.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Scheffler wins by five. Or more.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't be a stunner. But probably wouldn't help the Sunday TV ratings, which are causing some angst these days.

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I think Brooks already answered this question. And I hate Liv. But those guys - the recent major winners - are still good.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

I sort of put Brooks in a different category. He’s only ever cared about the majors. He doesn’t seem to give a shit about regular tournaments, on PGAT or LIV.

Looks like DeChambeau has been solid in majors since the split, other than the Masters. And he’s been largely terrible at Augusta.

No question the LIV guys are still great golfers. But I think the longer it goes with 54 holes and fields that aren’t as deep and talented, the more it will hurt them in the majors.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of an offshoot of the my thoughts on The Masters earlier - never changing- I really wonder how different it would be if it had "kept up with the times" with regards to TV Sports. Clearly, there would be a title sponsor, more commercial breaks, maybe a car floating on a riser on the par 3 16, tickets wouldn't be by subscription or whatever, Every year would be on the open secondary market. A bigger field, of course. One change I think would be really interesting and fun - and add more to the week - is a "play-in" tourney on the Tuesday maybe for pros not yet qualified, with the caveat that they had never played Augusta before. And played at a different local course.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tiger moving gingerly out there this morning. I've seen this movie before.

Draft saved Draft deleted