1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s exactly what the fictionalized version of Larry David would do. Learned his lesson from the Seinfeld finale? Absolutely not. Cringe goal achieved.

My only critique is it was telegraphed pretty early in the season.

Things hit everyone differently. I think this season was at its absurd best. Particularly the last 4-5 episodes.

Lt.Drebin and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dave Attell 's Netflix special is great. He can write a joke that isn't some navel gazing but.

3. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in 1985 ...

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Planning on watching Fallout this week. I got a preview "reel" late last month and it looks like a lighter, more fun Last Of Us.

The whole preview reel as opposed to just sending a preview copy or an episode or two with interviews and maybe some behind the scenes footage started with Disney. Time travel to prevent that would be appreciated.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - The game series is a dark humor / satire of current and cold war politics and consumerism. Definitely way different tonally than the Last of Us, which is more channeling the bleakness of The Walking Dead with occasional bursts of light.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Just watched the first two episodes of Fallout. A lot of fun so far.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watched the first two episodes of Sugar. Very stylized and there is something strange going on with respect to the Colin Farrell character, and not in a good way. Think I’m out on the show.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Just put Walton Goggins in everything.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"Fridays" debuted 44 years ago today. It was pretty much considered more edgy than SNL during its too-short run.

If anything, it was ahead of its time.

The cast had people who went on to bigger things (Larry David, Michael Richards). People who have had nice, workmanlike careers without ever becoming a star (Melanie Chartoff). And it had people who should have been bigger than they were (Mark Blankfield, Darrow Icus, Brandis Kemp). Icus and Kemp essentially disappeared after the show.

And they had such great musical guests. The Clash, Boomtown Rats, early Benatar, Steve Forbert. And I know he's not for everyone, but the first performance in the show's history ... well, it was possibly Loggins' best single performance. LOVED this song.

And if you wanted coked-out, '80s lounge singers ...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard that Sweetheart song in a store a few months back after not hearing it in decades. Man, that lead singer had it all, the stache, the chest hair, the chain, the mullett. I think of them like a band that might have been HUGE in a place like Sacramento. Should be noted, the lead singer won an oscar for co-writing "Time of My Life" for Dirty Dancing.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted