1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2024 Masters Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I got the chance to play Augusta, I wouldn’t care if I shot 62 or 162.
    It would be walking on cloud 9 for 18 holes.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

The two times I played the TPS Sawgrass stadium course, back in the mid 90s, I played really well -- was even on the par 3s -- and still shot in the low 90s. Playing from the blues, I just didn't hit it far enough to avoid trouble - and numerous doubles followed. I'm sure the same thing would happen at Augusta but probably 20% worse.

Eventually I learned to not keep score when playing great courses. Celebrate the rare birdie and occasional par, and don't even keep track of the rest.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had my first ever birdie playing on a guest pass on the Mystic Rock course at Nemacolin a month before the 84 Lumber Classic on my way to a 100-whatever.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I played Pinehurst #2 a few years before Payne Stewart's win. The caddies' guidance on putts seemed counter-intuitive; it took a few misses on the domed greens until I started to listen.

Also, today I hit 700 balls at the range. I get a boost when the local high school team shows up and the driver was so good I just kept going.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

playthrough and garrow like this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My guys had this exact debate the other night, which hole do you play if you just get one. Some guys took 12, my answer was the 13th -- I never want my first shot of a round to be on a par-3 and especially not over water. I like my driver and the 13th from the member tees sounds like a decent birdie opportunity. In theory. And I'd have to walk all the way down there, which maximizes the stunt.

Alas, I was not picked for the lottery this year. That's also a discussion I enjoy hearing from longtime scribes, how much of a "lottery" it really is. The consensus is maybe it's a half-lottery and I can believe it.

I Should Coco and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

I’d play 16. Too many memorable moments not to.

I Should Coco and playthrough like this.
  8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I wish I could quit Rory. It's ruining my Masters viewing every year now. Goddammit.

(...Maybe he'll shoot twin 62s this weekend to finish T2...)

MileHigh and I Should Coco like this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

He actually scrambled his ass off for pars on the last two holes — after horrible tee shots — to make sure he made the cut.

But dumping it into the water on No. 11 was a very avoidable mistake IMHO.

Yes, I too keep waiting/hoping Rory will get back on the victory train in majors, but he always seems to have just enough disaster shots and/or holes to keep himself out of contention. Or his putter goes ice cold.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok
    I might be alone here, but so be it.
    If I’m Rory, come Monday, I’m firing my caddy and getting someone else.
    I know he’s one of his best friends, but he’s not a caddy.
    He needs someone to say “no……you’ve got this…..hit this.”
    He doesn’t have that now.
    He’s got someone that says “yep. That’s it.”
    He doesn’t need that.

11. nickp

nickp Active Member

There is no doubt in my mind I am going to cry on Sunday when CBS does a tribute to Verne Lundquist as he calls his last moments at the 16th tower

maumann, HanSenSE and playthrough like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rory hasn't won a major since sports betting was legalized and DraftKings could probably fund a year of advertising off those bets.

There's no shame in never getting that last leg of the Slam, just ask Arnie, Watson, Byron, etc. Rory is just cursed for getting them all when he was so young.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted