1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It was a republican wish list. It would've been a victory for everyone who wanted a solution. And the timing was long, long before the election.

But nope. trump had to stab his own people in the back.

Fred siegle and garrow like this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I understand there is a vein of political thought that is abhorrent. It doesn't mean any idea expressed is automatically invalid. More importantly, any idea you disagree with shouldn't simply be attributed to MAGA or Trumpists.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Boy, it sure sounds like a lot of money! But when it comes to the GLOBAL inflation issue? Explain to me how that amount would have an effect one way or the other on inflation. It's pennies.

You don't like the policy. Which is fine. But it was campaign promise to get some relief, mostly for low-income students, who got caught up in a ridiculously predatory lending system. We've hammered into kids for decades that to have ANY chance to succeed in life, they had to have a college degree from a good school. Then that changed and the price of college was way more than they'd earn in return.

The landscape changed. And we need to fix the price of higher education in the long term. But in the meantime, we CAN help a bunch of students who got completely fucked over.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    wicked, garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

U.S. ready to help Israel respond to Iran attack.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m pretty comfortable with automatically invalidating the idea that “Jews are no better than rabid dogs and all of them should be put down.”

For starters.

Woody Long likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

That's a wild turn based on nothing I said and if you knew me you would realize it's repugnant.

7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

The guy advocating for not painting Republicans -- whose leader said there were many good people in Charlottesville, where his brownshirts marched with torches chanting "Jews will not replace us" -- with a broad brush thinks that's a wild turn?

That's literally what a large majority of Republican base wants.

And me, my wife, and my kids would be getting in the boxcar, so with all due respect, fuck Republicans, and fuck anyone who thinks that they and their views should be considered with any degree of seriousness.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’ll put it this way so you can up your obfuscation game: If I vote Republican, what am I voting for? What can I expect a Republican government to accomplish?

9. justgladtobehere

How can I not make it more clear? A single opinion is not an acceptance of every view you associate with a political party.

There are so many flaws in the logic of people posting on this thread.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A Republican government can possibly accomplish a seventh conservative Supreme Court justice. It will cut taxes (yes, the wealthy will benefit most, but that's a mathematical certainty with ANY tax cut). It will deport some immigrants and attempt to lessen the flow of undocumented ones.

None of these are exactly things that people on this board want . . . but there's your "accomplishment."

11. Deskgrunt50

You can't make it clear because you have no point. There is only one opinion that matters in your party, and he's wholly unacceptable. Prove that wrong.

But fuck it. Let's go play hacky sack down and the quad and discuss all of the high-minded ideas you're talking about. Kumbaya and shit.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You may have a thought and that thought may or may not have been vetted by Trump or pushed by his minions on Fox News. You may think that thought independent and actually convince yourself you mean it. But any Republican you vote for does not have that independent of Trump thought. And that is what we’re on about. Anything—and I mean anything—coming out of the GOP today is Trump approved. And that is the problem.

Bully for you that you don’t like a housing initiative. Hate to break it to you but housing subsidies have been a thing in one shape or form since the New Deal. Biden’s idea isn’t even as radical as it may seem (he’s allowing a greater tax incentive on interest and other assistance for first time homebuyers). Like it, don’t like it. Whatevs. But stop pretending the GOP is anything but Trump’s plaything and don’t blame us for thinking any GOP idea stinks to high heaven because of it.

HanSenSE and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted