1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2024 Masters Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 9, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not only a farewell for Uncle Verne, but also for CBS Sports chair Sean McManus, son of Jim McKay. Took over in the late 1990s when as Dan Patrick dubbed it, CBS Sport, and totally turned it around.

garrow likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And $15 million in official earnings before May.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If there's a more forgettable Masters, I can't remember it.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Aberg certainly looks like a Swede cyborg but I believe he’s Austrian. (Guess I was wrong)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nantz sign off included nods to both Verne and Sean.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What?
    Lord, have mercy ... what does it take to entertain you?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nope. He's Swedish.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Van Valkenburg's notebook included this tidbit ...

“Should we go for it?” Scheffler asked his caddie Ted Scott.

“Absolutely,” Scott said.

“Yeah,” Scheffler said. “Why don’t we just do what we do?”

https://nolayingup.com/blog/kvv-scottie-scheffler-masters-2024

Balls to the wall. Sometimes good. Other times not.

Lions go to the Super Bowl if they go up 27-10.

[​IMG]

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agreed. The finish was lacking, yes. But Saturday was awesome, watching those guys fight the brutal wind on Friday was fun, and watching a guy just take complete control as everyone else around him faltered was cool as well. But when Homa hit it into that bush on 12, it felt like the air was let out of the room.

Keep reading comments about it being like a U.S. Open setup and that we don't need that at a Masters. The setup was no different than usual. The wind was the deciding factor the first two days, and the green jackets have no control over that. Lengthening 2, 13, and 15 to the point where a birdie is not automatic is a good thing. I liked watching guys have to make decisions about going for the green on those holes. Scheffler was -8 on the par 5s, that was the difference.

Gotta say, I was disappointed with Homa the last two days. Just seemed like he was playing prevent defense from the start of the day on Saturday, which you can't do when you need to chase down the best player in the world. Maybe he learns from the experience, though. He used to be brutal in majors. He's at least contending now.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not fighting a Texas Death Match over this, but I thought Sunday was a snooze. Never a lead change. Morikawa couldn't make a birdie putt to save his life on the front nine. At one moment there was a four way tie for first, and then guys immediately started systematically dunking balls in the water, and nobody gave themselves a chance. Tiger wheezing and wincing and sweating up and down the course was depressing. I'm not personally invested in Scottie Scheffler. He seems like an okay fella. He doesn't move the needle for me. The whole thing was 'meh'. Just my opinion.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're not the only one who says that about Scottie. He's pretty robotic and rarely shows much emotion. That's just who he is, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted