1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe one day they'll vote to make reliable vehicles.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Even the cheapest vehicles are the most reliable ones ever made.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't feel it necessary to check the oil, fluids, and tires every time I make an hour trip.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Automobiles are far far better made than they were 25, let alone 50, years ago. Much more reliable. The downside is they're also now more complex machines due to computerization, so when something does break, it's more expensive to fix.

maumann, Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The robots really don’t make mistakes. Every step when we built a Honda engine was double-checked by a robot and the most delicate and exacting steps were done by robot.

They’re so good the engines don’t even get started before they’re put in the car.

Think about that.

7. BTExpress

I wish a robot could have told me why my previous 305K-mile Civic would only start when the engine was cold, but not when it was warm (during errands). Five mechanics struck out pinpointing the issue.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He was snarking about union shops though.

Hermes likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Regulators Seize Republic First, a Troubled Philadelphia Bank
    https://apnews.com/article/republic-first-bank-closure-fdic-ac3caeb6eb7a77b12b01c02d5a289750

It's a really small bank. But it's indicative of something MUCH bigger that has been papered over with incredibly loose financial conditions that make the inflation-fighting rhetoric laughable. They know if they actually try to do the job, banks will fall like dominoes as payback for the last decade +.

1) Of course they buried the annoucement at 5 pm on a Friday.
    2) It's their mortgage business. These guys were particularly aggressive in the 30-year jumbo mortgage market, offering below-market rates. When the Fed raised its overnight rate, it left them underwater.
    3) The FDIC deposit "insurance" fund is almost $700 million lighter.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ok

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  12. BTExpress

Nah. I was snarking about the shops that DON'T make reliable vehicles (of which Honda is not one).

Dodge, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Jeep, Chrysler, GMC, Ford . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted