1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Oklahoma is already getting hammered. Lots of towns getting hit, including Norman.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Big boy tornado about 30 miles west of us yesterday.

3. Twirling Time

Thought we were done with this (and I am locally) but Southeast Texas is in the soup now. The Buc-ee's in Madisonville is fixing to have Beaver Nuggets at 25,000 feet.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Fun fact: About 2 percent of tornadoes are anticyclonic (meaning they rotate clockwise). Almost always they form because of wind action between cells that counteract the Coriolis force in the Northern Hemisphere.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Easy EF3. The bad thing about last night is those storms hit a bunch of towns. Most of them chew up empty farmland and go unnoticed.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Popping off right now in east central Oklahoma. Local TV and storm spotters have been tracking one on the ground for 30 minutes now.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A tornado in the dark of night has to be especially terrifying.
    Especially when the power goes out well before it arrives.

Can't see much, but you can hear that sumbitch coming all the way.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The first ones I remember are the April 1974 outbreak. Seeing the black-purple-green sky in the flashes of lightning was quite a lesson for an 8-yo. None of them are good, but nighttime tornadoes are the worst.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, imagine looking out the door at night and seeing this ...

Of course, these guys thought it looked "awesome" ...

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mean, in the original sense of the word they aren’t wrong. But their asses still belonged in the basement.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just got back from DC for a friend’s birthday. Our AirBnb had two floors and a basement. My buddy’s house has a basement. My friend in Omaha has a basement. Every time I visit, I want a house with a basement.

Then I remember my neighbor who decided to put a storm shelter in the floor of his garage. The crew jackhammered out the concrete floor and started digging. They got less than a foot down before they started hitting huge rocks the size of a fridge. And that’s when I realized why houses here don’t have basements.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted