1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was gonna write my column, but then I got high: The Cannabis Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Woody Long, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Mark it down as yet another Merrick Garland half-measure. Still, it's a start.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

It quite literally is the most he can do.

The Single Convention created four Schedules of controlled substances and a process for adding new substances to the Schedules without amending the treaty. The Schedules were designed to have significantly stricter regulations than the two drug "Groups" established by predecessor treaties. For the first time, cannabis was added to the list of internationally controlled drugs. In fact, regulations on the cannabis plant – as well as the opium poppy, the coca bush, poppy straw and cannabis tops – were embedded in the text of the treaty, making it impossible to deregulate them through the normal Scheduling process. A 1962 issue of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs' Bulletin on Narcotics proudly announced that "after a definite transitional period, all non-medical use of narcotic drugs, such as opium smoking, opium eating, consumption of cannabis (hashish, marijuana) and chewing of coca leaves, will be outlawed everywhere. This is a goal which workers in international narcotics control all over the world have striven to achieve for half a century."​

Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs | Wikipedia

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It is the proper thing to do, but they’re crazy if they think this will help come November.

4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Even federal legalization, which is long overdue, wouldn't do much. It's not like Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma and the like would change anything. Hell, prohibition only ended in Mississippi in 1966...

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If you're worried about Mississippi, Alabama and Oklahoma, then bless your heart.

Texas on the other hand ....

And truth be told, Okies might have enough of a residual libertarian bent left after Stinky that they might go for it.

Woody Long likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but federal legalization will free up banks to provide loans and allow marijuana businesses to not have to be all-cash businesses. This forthcoming change might help a little, but it's still an illegal drug at the federal level and banks will most likely continue to be reluctant to work with marijuana businesses.

The SAFER Banking Act would help, but it hasn't gotten out of the Senate the past decade.

Woody Long likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

yadda yadda yadda :rolleyes:

Ibid.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tokelahoma is not like the others here.

Woody Long likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Federal legalization is a big deal for costs. Not only will it allow for access to banking, it can be sold wherever, taxes probably will come down, which will hopefully end the illegal trade that still exists in states where it is legal.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, you'll be able to travel with it now, I presume. No more worrying about whether it's legal or not in whatever state you're going to.

11. Woody Long

I haven't been to Oklahoma, but I've smoked more ganja in Mississippi than any other state I've called home.

12. Woody Long

So a neighbor down the street has a buddy who grows his own. Hooked me up with two ounces, which, to a kid who went to college in the late 90s and seldom purchased my own prior to legalization, feels like I have an enormous quantity of ganja. Some really good strains, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted