1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That’s some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever read. And I say that as a CLS grad.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You need to rebuild on Indian grounds ... no tax!

https://www.grammasapproved.com/

Webster likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Nice

qtlaw likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I do not believe that one of every four voters is undecided or prefers a third-party clown.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have a considerable sum in tobacco stocks. I figure the major companies have a go plan the minute weed is legalized. I'm all for it.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seven years ago I built a website for an OG weed store in the Valley -- the owner is an industry leader and was instrumental in getting the law passed in California. As it sounds like you have, he too learned the hard way about how tough it is to make money in what looked to be a sure-fire industry. Somehow if you try hard enough my email address can be found as part of his operation and I get the craziest solicitations on a weekly basis. That industry is nuts.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The problem as illustrated in the states where it IS legal is that the blackmarket is so entrenched (and much cheaper) that the legit businesses can't compete.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a retired dealer (he's old like me). He gave up the business when Mass. legalized it. He said while he could beat the regulated dispensaries on price, it wasn't worth his while to try and combat the new shopping habits of his customers, who buy from the dispensaries in small quantities on a regular basis, rather like picking up a six-pack on the way home.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The industry is so strongly regulated that you have to spend a lot of your revenue on security and other measures. No credit cards. Everything needs to be done in state so you can’t ship from a grow facility in a cheaper state. No ordinary deductions under federal law, which is the real killer.

And there was a gold rush of investment figuring that it was going to be interstate legal one day like booze. Most of those investors have retrenched because they own a ton of unprofitable businesses who have burned through their cash. My good friend has only made money when he has bought and sold grow facilities.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Same for the consequences of marijuana use. There is an entire cottage industry devoted to taking the money of people who have fallen afoul of the legal system for weed use.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When they tell you who they are, believe them.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted