1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Checking in with my mother to see how her Okie family is doing. The weather map NC linked showed it probably went by them to the east by a fair bit, but I have no sense of scale outside of California.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are tornado warnings and The Weather Channel isn’t live. It’s showing some program about a guy who dives into various bodies of water looking for lost items.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“Yeah, hey, let’s all go outside
    and look at the pretty tornado!”

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last night was very interesting from a media perspective.

A former TV meteorologist launched his own weather app a couple of months ago. He left TV to work for a bank and did nothing weather-related for two years. During the tornado warnings in the area last night, he had more than 8,000 people watching his livestream at 2:30 am. That topped the combined livestreams of the three network affiliates that do news (though who knows how many viewers they had on TV, instead of streams).

Liut likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There is a guy named Ryan Hall who does weather stuff on YouTube and other places. He's very good.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I watched a bit of the livestream from Channel 6 in Tulsa last night and thought they did an excellent job. Even had live positions of their field spotters on the radar so you could see exactly where they were. And there were a ton of them, spread out from southern Kansas to halfway down to OKC.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

For the second time in a month we had a tornado touch down and had it miss me by less than a mile while at work.

Mother Nature is either sparing me or just improving her aim for next time. I just ask she picks a better venue than a factory. I want to go out shaking my fist somewhere cool, like on a go-kart or roller coaster or something.

I'm somewhat disturbed that “A Serious Man” is one of my favorite movies. These funnel clouds when witnessed up close really give me the exact feeling the ending of that movie gave. The Coen brothers nailed that feeling when you see it bearing down.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hate Mother Nature.
    We had a massive hail beatdown at work today, and many of our vehicles took a hammering... including my brand new 2024 truck that I've had for 6 weeks. Beat. to. Shit.
    I'm not going to cry about it. What good does that do? We had people with broken windshields and some filing insurance claims from the parking lot.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tornado passing over Huntsville right now. If it is down, it’s going to tear up a really populated area.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The dry line fired up here tonight ... about nine miles east of me. I got nothing but a good lightning show and drier air, and the other side of the county got golf balls. I was at work all day and was sweating it because the weather people were saying watch out around I-35.

Draft saved Draft deleted