1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

During the Trump Administration, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina went as hard as you can looking for cases of immigrants voting illegally in his district in the 2016 election. He spent about 18 months after being appointed combing through millions of voting records. They found 19. In a district of roughly 2.5 million people, they found 19. Three of them were European immigrants and three of them were Asian. All but one of them immigrated legally. Most had a green card and did not understand that it did not confer full citizenship rights. One man even had passed his citizenship test, but had not yet had the swearing in ceremony.

A buddy of mine was an Assistant US Attorney working on gang violence in the Eastern District at the time and he would tell me about being in court when these cases were disposed. The judges - all of them Republican appointees - would be annoyed almost every time. The charges were misdemeanors and they handed out incredibly small fines. Basically everyone in the courtroom was like "Why are we doing this?" except for the Trump acolyte.

You'd think if the problem was really that widespread, the Republicans bleating about it would've come up with some evidence in the last 25 years. It's not like they haven't been in power at various points and had the ability to do something about it if it's such a big problem.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen this one before but it only reinforces the belief.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And here's an ongoing test for hed writers in the years ahead.

2muchcoffeeman, garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

In related news:

"And then he pulled out Penis Jr.," Stormy Daniels testified.
    At the defense table, Mr. Trump scowled and then farted twice.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's almost as if every action they've taken since the orange shitgibbon arrived on the scene has been to undermine faith in our elections so they can claim they were cheated if they don't win. Or just claim they won when they lost.

More of the alternate reality they've created. Un-American.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I just do not believe they ever, ever will. They didn't on the night of the HA tape. They didn't on the night of Charlottesville. They didn't on the evening of Jan. 6. They didn't when they found out he stole classified documents.

They will never, ever leave him.

They tell us who they are by continuing to support him. Believe them already.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My intuition says that Mike Johnson fucks goats. Must be true, right?

melock, garrow, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It should be real easy to round up the illegals voting. I'm certain there are stacks of ballots on the counter for people to fill out while they wait in line at the Free Government Benefits for Illegals Office.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The entire immigration situation seems so dumb to me. It's the biggest issue in the election among voters polled - a bigger deal with the GOP obviously - and yet the DREAMers are still in limbo, we constantly hear about declining birthrates and the worry that we don't and won't have enough workers. I'd like to think the Ds and Rs could launch a good-faith, bipartisan and major piece of legislation to set the course on the issue for the next 30 years, with hearing debates and a big signing ceremony in the Oval with dozens of pens to go around, but I have a feeling the fix on it will be shoveled into a last-minute keep the government operating for another six months spending bill as legislators are eager to get home for the holidays. Perhaps even overshadowed by news of a Trump plea-deal.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There WAS a deal that Ds and Rs agreed to -- and was heavily tilted to the Rs. Until Trump said, "Nah," all in the name of Biden getting credit.

Draft saved Draft deleted