1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boys on Amazon - spoiler thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Welp ...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They later announced that the fifth season will also be the last. Kripke said that was always the planned endpoint.

The first three episodes of Season 4 dropped yesterday. My daughter started watching with her friends at college. This is the first time we've been able to watch new episodes together. The satire of Trumpism, social media, and our culture in general is getting a little repetitive, but they still manage their share of WTF moments.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode last night. I am trying to imagine embodying someone so damaged for so long and have to wonder how they manage it without taking some hits to their psyches.

4. OscarMadison

Ep 2. Oh, Kimiko. Honey... Also, the Mrs. Maisel crossover made me cackle like an evil person.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. outofplace

My daughter and I watched the two most recent episodes together tonight. Both were just bleak and brutal. It wasn't fun to watch. I hope they get back on track.

6. OscarMadison

They're back on their game with Episode 5.

Dang. How do you spoiler text?

7. outofplace

Put your cursor over the insert option, choose spoiler, and type your message inside the brackets.

I guess you and I saw that one differently. There were some strong parts to the episode, but it's just too damn bleak.

8. OscarMadison

The Hughie, Sr. storyline was sad. Simon Pegg deftly handled being a Chuck Jones character in a Garth Ennis world while keeping an unbroken thread of humanity amid all of the CGI.

There were a few things that connected as they should. I was thinking before we were too far in that it would be nice if Giancarlo Esposito made an appearance.

The farm stuff was also pretty classic Ennis. E-I-E-I-O indeed.

About the previous episode... I got sniffly for child/teen John. With kinder raising, could he have still grown up to be monstrous Homelander? Who knows. Ryan is showing a similar streak of cruelty as a teen.

9. outofplace

This week's episode also had its share of depravity, but they had a little more fun with it. The show's version of Tek Knight might even be more fucked up than the comic and that's saying quite a bit.

The big reveal at the end of the episode was very well done.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

You watch this show with your daughter? Hell, I'm uncomfortable watching movies with my sons (both over 21) where there's a sex scene or nudity. Can't imagine some of this stuff on The Boys with a daughter.

11. OscarMadison

Unless you count my cat, I don't have kids. Go easy with the quote trigger there, Tex!

12. outofplace

I think he quoted the wrong post. That question was probably meant for me.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted