1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Who knows what the jury will decide in this Trump case, but I think the defense has really risked losing the thread several times and potentially confusing or outright boring the jury.

They're currently waist deep in the weeds of Michael Cohen's relationship with reporters. Just like the cross-examination of Daniels, they've spent very little time actually on the fraud charges with Cohen. It's all about his character and his reliability. Normally, that's fine as a tactic, but they're really getting into ridiculous nuance. And they're doing such a poor job of it that they're getting repeatedly smacked down by the judge, who keeps sustaining objections.

EDIT: If the jury acquits, it won't be the fault of the prosecution. They did their job well.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If I'm the prosecution, in my closing I'm mentioning there's still a paper trail linking Trump, Cohen and Daniels.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

And remind the jury that Trump surrounded himself with questionable people like Cohen because they were willing to cross the line to cover for him. If the jury is uncertain about Cohen's honesty, then they should question Trump's willingness to employ him for so long as his personal lawyer.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The defense attorneys are working at the behest of Trump, and I think he's far more interested in using the trial to dig into this aspect than getting into any useful decent legal issues. I mean, he ultimately doesn't have a great defense for this trial, so he's extracting the most value that he can in the usual Trump ways - Using it to grandstand and to get headlines, which he can use to hawk cheap merchandise and drum up fundraising support. (Note: I don't necessarily mean that Trump is consciously doing this.) If he's found guilty, it's very unlikely he's going to jail for more than a token amount of time, and he can postpone that for years potentially with appeals as well. His whole lifestyle and business is built upon kicking the can down the road, and he's seemingly still got plenty of enablers and funding sources to burn through.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From the NYT live blog:

Blanche also says it’s not clear yet whether Trump will testify in his own defense. Merchan takes away from this that the charging conference will be on Monday and asks both sides to be prepared to deliver their closing arguments on Tuesday.

franticscribe and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's no way Trump testifies. I wish he would, but I don't believe it for a NY minute.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He had plenty of time on Tuesday. Instead, he chose to attend the criminal trial of an adulterer.

Webster and garrow like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Inflation
    Immigration
    Disinformation
    Gonna lead Trump to control the nation
    Ball of collusion

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She’s a grandmother. She’s too old for him.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Webster and matt_garth like this.
  11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Gag Order! Why doesn’t the judge let me talk!

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

To hear Anderson Cooper tell it, Cohen got checkmated by Blanche and the jury ain't going to convict.

Draft saved Draft deleted