1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If TFG testifies, he'll probably drmd him to the chair.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Does not appear Trump will testify and the defense will rest tomorrow.

Closing arguments most likely next Tuesday.

4. HanSenSE

5. HanSenSE

Statement blaming the gag order in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

garrow likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Everything is a lie, but I'm sure the judge will say on the record that he knows he can testify and that he is choosing not to.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Trump was never going to testify. No sane defense lawyer would allow a client like him to do so.

Also, maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I really wonder if Costello's behavior did some serious damage today.

"Robert Costello is nitpicking at Susan Hoffinger as she questions him, correcting her mild misstatements, such as describing him as a former chief of a criminal division rather than deputy chief. He also takes issue with her use of the term “raid” when she refers to the F.B.I. executing a search warrant against Michael Cohen that year. And he just instructed her to talk into the microphone. There are five women on the jury."

Update from Jonah Bromwich

And then, when they tried again to argue for a dismissal of the case - or at least Cohen's testimony - Merchan snapped at the defense.

"Justice Merchan’s fatigue with the defense is beginning to show. Despite how angry the defense lawyers have been at Merchan at various points, he has tried quite hard to be fair to them. He is clearly losing patience."

"Merchan cuts Blanche off. “You said that his lies were irrefutable but you think he’s going to fool 12 New Yorkers into believing this lie?” he asks. As Blanche begins to respond, Merchan signals he is done with the defense for now and adds, “I’d like to hear from the people.”

Update from Maggie Haberman

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Being clear and thoughtful should be one of his main advantages over Mushmouth.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

Just MHO, but Trump would have used his time on the stand not to defend himself, but to lash out at Cohen and Daniels. Bur unlike on social media, the prosecution would have bought the hammer during their cross.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It should be more than just the judge saying it. Typically the judge directly asks the defendant on the record a series of questions about his decision not to testify. I admit, I've never been involved in a case in New York state court, but I've seen it in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and the federal courts.

The purpose is to prevent an appeal argument that the defendant didn't know he had a right to testify or that he was somehow coerced into not testifying.

MileHigh and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What was that phrase eight years ago? Take him seriously, but not literally?

outofplace likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"See!! 46 years old!! Young and virile!! Alpha male!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted