1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

No.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The recently passed Jim Otto was one of three players to play in each of his team's AFL games over the league's 10 seasons. Who are the other two?

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Correct!

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

George Blanda and Gino Cappelletti?

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Winner!

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No wonder he was feared!

garrow likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time when Ozzie Smith was talking about the difference in baseball culture between St. Louis and San Diego. "In the Cardinals clubhouse, Stan Musial is there talking baseball. In the Padres clubhouse, Nate Colbert is there trying to get you to buy a life insurance policy."

Another memory. Radio jerkoff is in the NL clubhouse during the All-Star Game in Montreal. He approaches a Cardinals player who is signing baseballs in the middle of the room.
    Radio guy: "Ozzie, may I have your autograph?"
    Player: "I'm Lonnie, do you still want it?"

garrow, Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OG Billy Shaw joined the Bills in Year 2 and played in 119 of their 126 games from 1961 through 1969. He is one of the few players in the HOF to spend his entire career in the AFL.

It's a crime that Gino Cappelletti isn't in the HOF. A crime.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shaw is the only player in the HOF who played his entire career in the AFL. And, IIRC, he's one of three (maybe four) Hall of Fame players or coaches who never played or coached in an NFL game. Al Davis is another, and I think there were one or two who played in one of the very early leagues.
    That exact number and the other answers are buried somewhere in this thread.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was Shorty Ray, who supervised officials and was instrumental in the NFL rule book. I remember reading George Halas’ biography, and he said he was proud to nominate Ray for the Hall.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Five Patriots head coaches have been named coach of the year by at least one major news organization. Who are the coaches?

Draft saved Draft deleted