1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now do the greatest health care. And infrastructure week. And the dozens of other issues he was going to take care of that were going to keep him so busy he wouldn't have time for golf.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those aren't examples of him pandering to anyone. They are examples him being a clown.

His support isn't coming from a swath of people who are hyperfocused on a need for "infrastructure week," the way gun nuts are hyperfocused on, "Don't let them ban my assault weapons!" or evangelicals are hyperfocused on, "Abortion!" And as I said, those are more tangible things than what Joe Biden can deliver to a core group of traditional Democratic voters, who get a lot of rhetoric, but have learned that how prosperous they are in life can't come from a politician promising them free shit. That now gets people tuning out and looking for the guy who isn't bullshitting them with the same old nonsense.

One issue where Biden actually resonates with anyone, as opposed to the bullshit I am talking about. ... is the 60+ percent of the country that wants the government out of abortion. It's tangible, so if that is what is important to you -- the thing you are hyperfocused on -- it's what Biden actually has ability to deliver that you ain't going to get from Trump. Unfortunately for him on that, I am not sure that more people are hyperfocused on it the way that 30 percent of religious nuts are, who will vote soley for anyone promising to make it illegal and not care about much else.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The Benefit of the Shout: How Constantly Being Loud Helps the Right and Especially Trump

4. The Big Ragu

Being loud doesn't hurt, as long as you are saying the right things.

Even on the wall that was never going to be built, which some of you fixate on. It's like, "how can they still support him?" Much of that was just about being a dick and denigrating migrants in a loud way.

It was never about a wall. It was about the widespread xenophobia in this country for ignorant reasons, and at its extreme, bigotry and racism. Those people didn't get a wall, they got images of children in cages. That was him tangibly delvering.

Things like that are easier to deliver than Santa Clause promises that promise everyone something for nothing.

5. The Big Ragu

I realize I am having a conversation with myself. But I was trying to think of tangible things that anyone is getting in their lives that hsa come specificially from Joe Biden being president. Him trying to buy off people with the student loan eradication is the one I came up with.

But on that, it doesn't sit in a vaccuum, it ties into the bigger picture of people's overall finance, and there Biden doesn't fare well. Like, if he made a $350 loan payment disappear, but you've seen your other monthly expenses go up by more than that (and you hold the president responsible for it), how effective is the buyoff attempt?

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I think this is exactly right. Trump blew the right dog whistle, and did so confidently. That the wall isn't "finished" just means there's more "work" to be done.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think you're closer than some might think. Dating back to George Floyd, I think there is a special kind of annoyingness to the clean-cut and totally ineffective white liberal. Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey (and to a lesser extent governor Tim Walz) said so much about reforming the Minneapolis Police Department, only for the police union to tell them to go fuck themselves at every turn. The people with real skin in the game and people to his left were pissed at him because he wouldn't go far enough, and nobody to his right was willing to compromise an inch.

And I think there are several examples of what I have compared to the chess tactic known as a fork (one piece threatening two and the defending player can't protect both). The police respond to demands for reform by telling them to fuck off, and crime fills the vacuum faster than their non-problematic means of prevention. Social workers are great, but they're not very helpful to someone who is being mugged.

That's not an endorsement, but there is something to the belief that some people would rather vote for someone who is hostile to them then someone who says they're in their corner and can't deliver, even if it's not their fault.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The problem now is that anyone with a "D" next to their name is painted as a "liberal" and it is nonsense. Josh Shapiro, the governor of Pennsylvania, is a textbook moderate yet is painted by some of these lunatics as Karl Marx.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How about a momentary sense of ease that somebody who is batshit crazy and guided by the worst figures in American politics (fascists, Christian Nationalists, conspiracy theorists) is no longer in the White House?

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Good ole Mississippi

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't know what to tell you. Being President/running for President is the only thing keeping him out of prison. He'll pander to anyone he has to, resort to the lowest common denominator, appeal to the worst human beings in the country. He's a terrible human being and the second he dies the world becomes a better place.

Draft saved Draft deleted