1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, if he's not on the rubber, making a pitch, it's simply an errant throw and a live ball.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Long weather delay today in Montgomery for the Sun Belt tournament. Southern Miss and Appalachian State, who started their game at 9 a.m., are now in the eighth inning. Georgia Southern and James Madison still have to play after them, and both match-ups are double elimination. The if necessary games have both been pushed to tomorrow, with the championship game to follow.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m 90 miles north of Montgomery. We’ve gotten maybe five minutes of showers a one semi-close lightning strike after dark here. That’s wild.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let's Play Three ?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m still not sure they did. I never saw the catcher step on or past the plate.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wichita State, a one-time powerhouse 11 years removed from its last national tournament (and 15 removed from the last one the NCAA recognizes on the books) plays for its first AAC title tomorrow against Tulane.

Liut likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern Miss beat Appalachian State 7-5 to advance to the Sun Belt championship game for the second year in a row. Southern Miss also reached 40 wins for the eighth season in a row, which is the longest active streak in Division.
    The game ended right about 9 p.m., so 12 hours total. They actually had two weather delays. The first one lasted 2:47, and the second was 5:37.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watch the video again. He's in the other batter's box when he makes the tag, and he's sitting on the plate from the 9-second point on.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, he can if he has the ball. While he moved forward in the catcher’s box, I never saw him touch the plate or go past it prior to receiving the ball.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mountain West: Fresno State knocks out Air Force, then forces the if game Sunday by rallying late to defeat San Jose State 8-5.
    WCC: San Diego defeats Portland 8-6 to win title.
    Pac-12: Of course Arizona and USC are tied at 3 going into the bottom of the ninth.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Arizona wins in a walkoff in the bottom of the ninth and let the waterworks for Pac-12 baseball begin.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The catcher clearly stepped out in front of the plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted