1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump is even less qualified to be president now than he was in '16.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

After the senator's near-fatal stroke and the paralyzing depression that followed it? His treatment and recovery? In a story about how the senator's behavior has recently changed?

OK.

How John Fetterman Came Out of the Darkness

For the first two weeks at Walter Reed, Fetterman continued to decline. He stopped shaving and showering. His normally bare head grew fuzzy; his fingernails were like claws; he didn’t get out of his pajamas. Seeing his face in the mirror, he didn’t recognize himself. He was consumed with self-loathing, convinced his own family wanted nothing to do with him. He knew he belonged in the hospital, but felt trapped there.

Dr. David Williamson, director of Walter Reed’s inpatient neuropsychiatry program, oversaw Fetterman’s treatment. “Depression to the public connotes sadness. It wasn’t so much a sadness presentation,” Williamson tells me. “The cardinal feature of the medical illness of depression is slowed speech, movement, and a lack of drive or initiative. He was very passive, very flat, very unemotional, almost mute, although he did talk. Just a lack of responsiveness and a flatness, a lack of that spark or passion you would expect to see in humans.”

Williamson’s team gathered records from Fetterman’s doctors in D.C. and Pennsylvania and ran tests—“a 360-degree review of his cardiac health, neurologic health, mental state, behavior, and daily functioning,” as Williamson puts it. They found, among other things, that Fetterman’s hearing was severely diminished, exacerbating his auditory issues; he now wears hearing aids. Because he’d lost so much weight, his heart medications were at too high a dosage. Cardiac tests and brain scans showed he had not suffered any further physical damage or stroke. (Fetterman gave his doctor permission to discuss his treatment with me, but declined to disclose the names and dosages of his medications.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Some things never change. Those who scream loudest about their patriotism do not represent the decency the country is supposed to espouse.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And one of my good friends keeps telling me that I should support Trump because he’s so much better on Israel than Biden. I send him stuff like this and he says that Trump is just doing this to own the libs.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Could've cut it off after the first five words and been fine. Classy, even.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First sentence was more than 60 words.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Must have laid off his copy editor.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure proper grammar is the least of what’s wrong with that statement.

2muchcoffeeman, matt_garth and garrow like this.
  11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Could have used more all caps.

swingline likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When he uses proper punctuation and grammar, that means someone else wrote it

Draft saved Draft deleted