1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They showed the radar a few minutes before the delay and there was a line of thunderstorms closing in.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, they just had a live shot of the rain. They've lost the track.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They've called it. Christopher Bell is your Coca-Cola 600 winner.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Didn’t get to see any of anything today. I wanted to read that Larson ran all 1,100 miles and get a pair of top-5s. Oh well.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

People in Daytona Beach are shocked that NASCAR refused to restart the race at 1 a.m.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Larson ran really well at Indy, despite the 18th place finish. He had a pit lane speeding penalty on his first green flag pit stop that moved him to the back of the pack after staying in the top 10 most of the day. Even after the penalty he logged a few laps as the race leader in an off-cycle fuel strategy.

I was impressed and hope he'll give it another try at some point. I know they mentioned the possibility of doing it next year, but I wonder if Hendrick will still be on board with that after it kept him from running in Charlotte.

wicked and maumann like this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

He may be the only driver in history to experience two rain delays at two different tracks in two states on the same day.

Once the weather cleared, the 500 was like everybody racing like it was the last lap from Lap 1. I've never seen a more frenzied three-hour race in my life. A lot of questionable moves worked, a few didn't.

We didn't get back to Columbus (Indiana) until 12:30 a.m., and then got socked with a massive thunderstorm that poured buckets for at least an hour. Now I'm packing for my own 500-mile race home today, hopefully at substantially slower speeds.

I guess I'm renewing the tickets for 2025.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    Liut, Typist Clerk, Batman and 2 others like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My 11-year-old watched for the first time yesterday and now wants to go. Might have to get that done next year.

I would also tell IMS that this is what can happen when you lift the blackout. You can't market a race to fans that can't see it, and there's still plenty of people across Indiana who have no idea.

Liut, Typist Clerk, Driftwood and 3 others like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's the Joel Youngblood of auto racing.

Liut, maumann and Ookpik like this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why not? Yeah, NASCAR is claiming that they can hold him out of the idiot playoff format because he technically missed the Charlotte race, but as PR needy as NASCAR is – not to mention it would upset Rick Hendrick to the infinite power, which would lose even more points – can you see NASCAR getting away with doing such to Larson?

Me neither. Plus someone with that organization has to see that his attempt to pull off the Indy 600/Concord 600 would do more to help its credibility, which needs all the help it can get.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm going to defer to maumann and some of the experienced people here but one of the things I noticed was that it was practically a "plate race" out there. I don't think anyone led by more than a second at any point. Granted, the folks in IndyCar probably don't view that as a bad thing, but it seems like (and Rossi insinuated post-race) that it was impossible to hold the lead down the stretch, or in Rossi's case, impossible to launch an attack on the front from third. I think the weaving looks goofy and I don't like that they run so close to the inside wall down the frontstretch.

I just wish the last few laps were more about the ability of the drivers and the cars and less about aerodynamics.

maumann likes this.
  12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's mind-boggling how stupid NASCAR is with their PR and marketing to not promote these double-race guys and say "See, we have drivers who are so great they can do both ... even in the same day!"

I'd go as far as to say they should be helping in some way to make sure the drivers who want to do this can more easily get it done. Also, put a reporter or someone with the guy from the moment he leaves Indy to arrival in Charlotte. Post updates during the flight. Maybe an online fan Q&A during the flight. Landing at (or near) the track. Instead, NASCAR seemingly gets its panties in a wad and blows a good opportunity for crossover marketing. The Olds probably wouldn't care what Larson is doing on the flight but maybe some of The Youngs would, if he was streaming-tweetering-TockTickin with them.

NASCAR is astonishingly stupid sometimes.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted