1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Strange recent days: Cardinals sweep Orioles; Reds sweep Dodgers; Phillies lose two of three to Rockies; Marlins have won six of 10.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I was at a 2018 Yanks-Sawks playoff game. Sitting in the 500s way way up. Angel Hernandez missed three obvious calls at first base. I could see they were wrong from the nosebleeds. IIRC, he was overturned three times.

Well. Bye.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

We certainly hear about the best umpires of all time - Nestor Chylak, Doug Harvey, Jocko Conlon - but I cannot remember one who was as notoriously bad as Hernandez. Who is he on par with historically? Or is he the absolute worst?

This is also a good time to share one of my favorite nicknames - Rough Guess, for Russ Goetz, one of the last to wear the outside protector.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don’t mind him being shit at his job. I mind him being shitty and thin-skinned.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can you imagine how bad the likes of Eric Greg were if they had the technology they have now?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m not one to blame umps/refs they don’t cost you the game, how about the five TOs and/or errors or idiotic base running? But Hernandez was objectively so bad. Then to double down on a discrimination claim was ridiculous and showed his credibility to be zero.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's my question.

I now want to know who actually IS considered MLB's worst umpire.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

tl;dr ... but that's quite the near typo.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted