1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its incredible to me that someone as notorious - hell people knew his name - as Hernandez was still employed seven years after filing suit against his employer. MLB unions and police unions are one and the same.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was thinking it was a purposeful play on words.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I was not a fan of the umpiring stylings of Angel Hernandez, and it goes without saying that a system in which it takes an employer this long to get rid of an employee everyone knows it finds to be substandard is far from ideal.

But I have to say I find it a bit offputting, in a way I can't completely articulate, how he's become history's greatest monster and the object of such all-encompassing derision on social media and elsewhere. Umpires obviously sign up for the job knowing they won't have any fans, but becoming a national punch line is a bit beyond that.

YMCA B-Baller likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Source: https://umpscorecards.com/umpires/
    Minimum: 7 games as home plate ump
    Principal stat for ranking purposes: Accuracy Above Expected

By those figures -- and reasonable minds may differ on the go-to stat or the minimum sample size for eligibility, etc. -- there are 78 eligible umps.
    The 10 worst as measured by Accuracy Above Expected:
    69. Angel Hernandez
    70. Marvin Hudson
    71. Bill Miller
    72. Lance Barrett
    73. Bruce Dreckman
    74. Hunter Wendelstedt
    75. Alfonso Marquez
    76. Manny Gonzalez
    77. CB Bucknor
    78. Larry Vanover

The best under these terms is Nestor Ceja.
    Widely disdained Laz Diaz checks in slightly below average, ranked 46 out of 78.
    Noted Trumpist Rob Drake is at 63 of 78.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

Trumpists will not be happy. Fuck ‘em.

Tarheel316 and HanSenSE like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

Exactly. You can’t claim the Negro Leagues are Major Leagues without according the players the same privileges given to others.

franticscribe and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Can pension benefits be passed on? Or do they end with the death of the recipient?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don’t know. But since they’re changing rules, why not go all the way with it?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's one factor that troubles me.

The most games Josh Gibson played in one season was 68. The most at-bats in a season, 268.

The most games Oscar Charleston played in one season was 101. The most at-bats in a season, 401.

The most games Jud Wilson played in one season was 76. The most at-bats in a season, 280.

None of those numbers come close to matching those of everyday players in MLB, now or in past times. The marathon that is the MLB season is a separating factor.

It IS apples and oranges. And before somebody asks, "How could they help that?", some things in life are just unfair.

TigerVols and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted