1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When you force refugees into a camp in a "safe zone" and kill 45 people inside it while trying to kill two individuals in particular, you don't get to call it a "tragic accident". Not when you're doing what military experts all over the world have warned you against. It was a botched military strike which killed many innocents.

Now throw this into the hopper:

Israeli, Egyptian forces exchange fire, Egyptian soldier killed

The world at large isn't going to sit still while the Egyptians and the Israelis start shooting at each other. A lot of countries who have been neutral up till now ( or who put out disapproving statements but didn't really do much to back them) are going to put on real pressure if there is any threat to the Suez Canal. The Panama Canal is more functional than it was during the drought a few months back but it still isn't fully functional. Endanger the economic interests of the European and Asian countries and the diplomatic situation will change very quickly. Sternly worded diplomatic messages could turn into overt economic pressure if it continues.

I would add that the Egyptians are no longer driving T-55's, and that the Israelis have no desire to tie up with them with what's going on in Gaza in their rear.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Best character in the movie. I liked it but my friend is a medievalist. Those types don't like it, one saying, ""a film about Colonial America showing the colonial men wearing 20th century business suits, but with the jackets worn back-to-front instead of the right way around." Another said, "The Battle of Stirling Bridge could have done with a bridge."

Batman likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You and I are frustrated with the imprecision of the reporting on these stories from both sides

In this case I'm not sure.

Israel Used U.S.-Made Bombs in Strike That Killed Dozens Near Rafah

Liut likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It isn't just the reporting that I find frustrating. Neither side can be fully trusted, but oddly enough, the media seems to be putting more credence in the information coming from terrorists than what is coming from Israel.

Israel is denying responsibility for the attack Tuesday. Isn't it at least possible that Hamas fired on its own people to try to turn up the international heat on Israel even more? Sure, Israel could just as easily be lying, but do you have any doubt that Hamas would slaughter its own people just to hurt Israel?

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

News orgs abhor a vacuum, and in the absence of casualty totals or other numbers from Israel or the IDF, the press runs the numbers coming out of Gaza.

That said, Israeli spokespeople haven't pushed back on those casualty totals.

I think in the case of whatever happened Tuesday, there will be physical tank / anti-tank evidence in the next day or so.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Just to their immediate family members.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How does Hamas have any weapons left?

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Easy, they squirreled away a shit-ton of rockets, guns and ammo provided by Iran and funded by Qatari sugar daddies for a decade leading up. I'm sure they're stashed in an underground tunnel somewhere too deep for the IDF to either find or hit.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They don't mind the English. They're just wankers.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

WaPo gift article

https://wapo.st/3Vm83tV

Opinion

The latest mass killing of civilians brings Israel to an inflection point

With condemnation growing after horrific deaths in Rafah, new pressure could push Netanyahu toward ending the war.

Draft saved Draft deleted