1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think CNN is getting obsessed with the clock. 22 witnesses, nearly 300 pieces of evidence, 20 days in the courtroom, 34 counts ... let's hope they're not going to rush it just so you can throw it to Wolf Blitzer in The Situation Room.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, I just got a Democratic fundraising email from Sen. Fetterman (of course he didn't write it). So there are limits to just how loose a cannon he is.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Split verdicts are common. Just given the number of charges, it wouldn't surprise me to see a split verdict here.

Each count relates to a discrete ledger entry, check issued or business invoice, so it would be easy enough for jurors to decide that there's sufficient evidence to convict on transactions a & b, but not c & d.

Honestly a split verdict wouldn't be bad. Appeals courts have found the decision to convict on some charges, but not others, to be persuasive when reviewing appeals that are based on allegations of jury bias or undue influence. Basically it shows the jury was careful and considerate in evaluating the evidence before it.

Sometimes split verdicts make no sense. I handled an appeal for the state some years ago where the jury convicted on possession of a firearm by felon charge but acquitted on an unlawful discharge of a firearm charge. The officer saw the guy shoot, so starts chasing and by the time he catches him some 300 yards away the gun is in the bushes. Best I could figure is the jury was trying to cut the guy some slack and didn't realize they acquitted on the potential 120 day jail sentence and convicted on the two year prison sentence. To me the unlawful discharge evidence was much stronger.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Killick likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As cynical bastardy as I am, surprisingly enough I find this to be my prediction as well.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be rare for anyone found guilty of what Trump is charged with to do time as a first offender under New York state sentencing guidelines.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would be less than rare for this type of prosecution to have happened in the first place for anyone else.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

When businessmen can't falsify records to cover up illicit activities, we all lose a little freedom.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do crimes no other president ever dreamed about, then whine about how it is all unprecedented. And the zombie army eats it up.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You can tell it was a legit payment and not at all an effort to hide hush money by the way they tacked on the income taxes. Most billionaires have their lawyers mortgage houses to pay hush money. You can't expect Donald Trump to just have $130,000 laying around, and getting Cohen to put his house up for $130,000 in hush money was clearly legit.

I predict hung jury.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It would also be quite rare for the criminal to have been the president of the United States.

Here's a novel concept: crimes should have consequences.

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted